Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new core 2 duo e7500

• Please log in to reply

paradien

paradien

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hey guys

I just bought new parts for my build, but now im running into some issues that are driving me up a wall.
I own a Asus p5q pro mobo, Its a fairly decent board but i had crap parts on it. Sadly i running a p4ht and a Asus en8600gts. So i went shopin and bought a new.......

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

ASUS EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E7500

**I also own a new never before used...
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK

ocz sent me this after my 1200 series died on me, its been lying around waiting to be used.

So what i first did was install the psu, she worked, so i went and tryed the cpu. I couldnt get to bios, my screen stayed black, also when i turn her on she runs for about 5 secs, cut out, and cuts back on in 2 seconds, it happens every time now with the duo core. This doensnt happen on the p4

So i put back my original p4ht with its 3gs (Kingston kvr667d2n5/1g) , she booted so i went and flashed the bios to the latest.

This time i try the duo core again, same issue again. so i look at the manual, and learn about the clrtc jumper, and the battery, i clear both of them, tried again. Only once did i get the duo core to boot completely to desktop, but i went back to bios turned off express gate and marvel ide, which i do when im on the p4. rebooted, and once again black screen of death......

So aggravated , i said f it ill worry about it till later, put back my p4, and went to install my vga, which i had high hopes for, since well....its a 4870 vs a old 8600, i was hopeful for a huge boost in my gaming, Well IT thought other wise....I installed her with the driver asus gives you and its crappy utilities(smartdoc,Gamerosd). I have 3dmarko6(free version)so i ran the first bench, and what i got was the same frames rate i was getting with that weak 8600. SO i uninstalled the utilities since they don't work, uninstalled the Asus driver and went a downloaded the driver from AMD. I had the latest driver and catalyst installed. and still i was pulling just crap its like nothing happened to the VGA besides get larger and hotter.

I decided to just unplug everything put the clrtc on pin 2-3 poped the battery and let her sit over night.

Today i followed the New build computer problems
'

and it still doesnt work :)........ So in the end i got a cpu i cant use and a vga that doesnt want to perform as i wanted, either asus cards suck or something else is going on.

Im stuck , any one got any ideas?

Edited by paradien, 29 June 2010 - 06:25 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
On page 2-21 of your manual check the settings of your CPU / Northbrive overvoltage settings

Copied from your Asus P5Q Pro Manual:
DO NOT set the OV_CPU jumper to pins 1-2 when you install a new CPU and have not booted for the first time. Doing so may cause the system to halt. For system failure due to the wrong setting of the OV_CPU jumper, shut down the computer and move the cap back to pins 2-3.

Something to verify.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

On page 2-21 of your manual check the settings of your CPU / Northbrive overvoltage settings

Copied from your Asus P5Q Pro Manual:
DO NOT set the OV_CPU jumper to pins 1-2 when you install a new CPU and have not booted for the first time. Doing so may cause the system to halt. For system failure due to the wrong setting of the OV_CPU jumper, shut down the computer and move the cap back to pins 2-3.

Something to verify.

i never played with those jumpers ,

on page 2-20 is the jumper i messed with.

Atm im trying this, since those sticks run at 2.1v i am manually entering the settings instead of auto, but it doesnt seem to be of any success

Edited by paradien, 29 June 2010 - 05:55 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried updating the BIOS?

The symptoms you describe sound like the motherboard isn't recognizing the new processor.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Have you tried updating the BIOS?

The symptoms you describe sound like the motherboard isn't recognizing the new processor.

Well i have tried 2 different versions

P5Q PRO BIOS 2102(which is the latest)

The prior bios

P5Q PRO BIOS 2002

i could try the older ones, since i boot just fine with the p4
P5Q PRO BIOS 1613(2008/12/12)
P5Q PRO BIOS 1611(2008/12/12)
P5Q PRO BIOS 1501(2008/11/12)
P5Q PRO BIOS 1406(2008/10/06)
and there are plenty of them....

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well another pain has arisen, i just hooked the p4 and now windows says i have to re register, which i would since i have the product code , but guess what! it wont connect to register over the internet, even though she is hooked to my router.

Im contemplating to just redo EVERYTHING

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hey guys

Sorry if it seems like im bumping to much, if I could, I would combine 1 or 2 post, but this time Id like to mention that I felt that I could of shown my situation a lil bit better , so i made a quick 10 min video of this issue. excuse me also when my back is facing the cam.

ASUS P5Q PRO MOTHERBOARD Bios/new cpu issue