Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VPN troubles

• Please log in to reply

jflow

jflow

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have recently enabled the vpn option on my cisco wrvs 4400n at work. I am using windows vista on my laptop with cisco quick vpn client to remotely access the wrvs4400n at work. I can make the connection, but I do not know how to access any of the shared files on any of the 10 computers on that network, including the windows 2000 server which runs our quickbooks enterprise software. I know I am connected because I know the ip address of the lighting system and if i type that address in the web browser, I can connect to it. Is there a way to view shared folders and printers an hook up to the quickbooks remotely using the minimal hardware/software I have. There are no other firewalls, or routers at work that could be impeding my progress.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have an IT group or person at work? who set the VPN up? who manages your work network?

you should probably talk to them to get the full details. but in general the purpose of a VPN is to connect you directly into the local area network from a remote location through the internet. so once you're connected to the VPN you should be able to do things from your computer the same way you would do them if you were plugged in directly to the LAN in the office.

jflow

jflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
We have a very small company. I am the self trained, (or training) IT guy. I set up the router and lan at work. I have just connected successfully, however, when I go to view the network, all that shows is the router at my house and my home desktop. My home linksys router has default security settings.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well, the "view" network won't pull items over the VPN to show you. you'll have to know the ips or the names of the things you're attempting to connect to.

is the computer you're using to connect to the VPN your home computer or a work computer that was once connected to everything at work?

jflow

jflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The computer I am using is the laptop that I bring to and from the office. It is connected to the lan at work while I am there. The only IP address I knew by head was that of the lighting system, when I entered that address it did connect me to it remotely. Sounds like I need to collect the IP addresses of those computers I want to view the shared files for. Is there a way to save them as network places or something on my laptop so my quickbooks can connect. The quickbooks software does not give me an opportunity to enter an ip address to find the mail server file.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
quickbooks is pretty finicky about networking stuff to begin with.

how do you connect to everything when you're in the office? shortcuts? or mapped drives? (as far as files and what not)