Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full System Scan

• Please log in to reply

claudiathompson

claudiathompson

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello, I have a HP Pavillion computer and use Windows XP.

I am trying to do a full system scan, but I cannot find where it is located.

I tried Start/Accesories/System Tools, but the Scan isnt there. I do see the Defragmenter though.

Where would I click to do the full system scan?

I looked online and found this article that said to click on "My Computer" then "Properties" and "Tools" and the "Error Checking section" but that wouldnt work, it keeps saying I need to shut down my computer first and click that I want to do the scan when it restarts. I click that and restart but nothing happens.

I also followed instructions on how to hold down the F8 key while restarting and thats supposed to put it in Safe Mode, but that doesnt work either.

I always thought that he Scan thing was with the Start/Accesories/System Tools?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If you mean the old "scandisk", it is not currently supported in Windows XP. Use Chkdsk instead. It enables you to create and display a status report for a disk based on the file system. Chkdsk also lists and corrects errors on the disk.

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

claudiathompson

claudiathompson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I think I tried that but when I restarted my computer it doesnt start the disk check.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
How to Use Chkdsk in Windows XP
http://vlaurie.com/c...cles/chkdsk.htm

If chkdsk doesn't run on reboot, try from the Recovery Console.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
See this, it may apply to your computer it depands on the model of Pavilion
http://h10025.www1.h...product=1127366

claudiathompson

claudiathompson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thanks Boatmaster, I will definitely try that.

claudiathompson

claudiathompson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I know this isnt the topic but this morning, I was trying to upload a couple of videos to my youtube channel, and the first one worked but all my tries to upload the rest of them would not work. What causes that, anyone know? They are just 10 minute videos and the rest of the videos are the same format as the first one that I uploded successfully.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am not ignoring your last post, but can we try and carry out the chkdsk first as the problem may well be related.

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

I looked online and found this article that said to click on "My Computer" then "Properties" and "Tools" and the "Error Checking section" but that wouldnt work, it keeps saying I need to shut down my computer first and click that I want to do the scan when it restarts. I click that and restart but nothing happens.

Do you get this message if "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" is unselected?

Also if you still have your Windows XP disc and it has the same service pack as the one installed on your pc. Go to start and then run and type in sfc /scannow. Put in the Windows XP disc if prompted.

Edited by Oddysee, 01 July 2010 - 10:55 AM.