Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Controller

• Please log in to reply

SatanX

SatanX

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I took my computer into Staples within the last month or so, because of a motherboard issue, and they fixed it, after so lovingly formatting my harddrive. I had to take it back three times because windows wouldnt activate, the second time was for a part and because one of my network cards [the one integrated on the motherboard] refused to work. I had to take it back a third time because it still did not work, and they gave it back each time saying they 'fixed' it.

It's about a month after the fact and still the network card doesn't work. No matter what I plug into it, it still says the network cable is unplugged. I checked the device manager, and it has a huge question mark and little exclamation mark over "Ethernet Controller" under "Other Devices".

Is that where the problem lies or is it someplace else? And if it's a driver problem, how do I figure out what driver to download?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

the drivers for the onboard ethernet are not installed they should be on the cd that came with the motherboard

Rick

SatanX

SatanX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
There was no CD that came with it. They just slapped everything together and gave me nothing to go with it. Not even a Windows disk.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Take it to where you bought it and tell them ur not leaving until you have the software that was supposed to come with it and it's fixed.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

SatanX

SatanX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yeah it's just that after three times I dont even want to bother. Couldn't I just open it up and see what brand of Ethernet Controller it is or whatever?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Go to control panel, system, click the Hardware tab and click the device manager button. Now find Network Adapters and expand it. Is there anything in the list? If so then it would tell you what type it is if you right click one and click properties. If you find one then right click it and click "uninstall". Reboot the computer and windows should automatically find upon startup and reinstall it. You will know because it will pop up a small balloon in the bottom right of the screen telling you it found new hardware. If that doesn't work then make sure you have written down the make and model of onboard network device and try to download the drivers from the net. What is the make and model of your computer, I will help you find the correct network drivers. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)