Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Acer Aspire 5532 backlight

• Please log in to reply

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello, I have a small problem with my laptop. Out on nowhere the backlight on the LCD went off, without any reason (haven`t dropped it, haven`t spilled anything on it) so I thought that maybe the LCD backlight went off due to some damage to the neon that`s underneath it.
I bought a new one, replaced it, but the problem still occurs. I have checked with a monitor to see if there are any problems with the graphics card, but it works just fine without any problem. As far as i`ve checked, there`s a small connector for the backlight and i`ve checked the pieces on it with a multimeter and they seem to be fine. Can anybody point out another solution for this problem? Thank you

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Did you replace just the backlight, or the inverter too? I would suspect the inverter. If you shine a flashlight at the screen and look closely, can you see the image?

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I can see the image, it`s very dim ... I haven`t changed the backlight ... I changed the whole screen, it`s brand new so there shouldn`t be nay problem with it.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I can see the image, it`s very dim ...

That suggests the inverter is bad. It's a bit tricky but if you replaced the screen yourself, I think you can replace the inverter. The boards are typically around $50 to $150. Any reputible shop should be able to replace it charging 1 hour for labor, 2 at most. This is a good read: http://www.laptoprep...-fix-backlight/.

Edited by Digerati, 30 June 2010 - 08:42 AM.

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Great, thanks for the info. I know how to replace the inverter, I replaced the lcd myself, the inverter is even easier than the lcd. I always disconnected it when I had to work on the LCD. Thanks for the help, I`ll order one 2day and as soon as it arrives and I`ll replace it. I`ll reply and let you know. Thanks for the help.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I`ll reply and let you know. Thanks for the help.

Great! And you are welcome.

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, so I got it working, I`ve ordered the Inveter, replaced it and everything works fine. Thanks for the help, I`ve tested all the features it has, to dim or brighten the light on the LCD.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Super! If you don't mind revealing, how much was the inverter and how long did it take you? Are you a technician by trade? From 1 to 5, what would you rate the difficulty level?

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Laptop Model: Acer Aspire 5532
Fault: LCD Backlight
Test: Replaced LCD, same problem. Thanks to Digerati, found out it`s the Inverter.
Fix: Ordered the inverter (model: E131735 YNV-C01) which was 15 pounds on eBay.
Replaced the inverter (difficulty 2/5, time 15-30 minutes).
Test: I`ve dimmed and brightened the light, and it worked fine (while booting and after Windows loaded).

Thanks Digerati.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
£15 is a good price and 30 minutes is pretty quick but goes back me saying a shop should charge about 1 hour for labor.

Thanks for the thanks, and thanks for the followup.

Advertisements

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yeah, they usually say it`s a little bit hard to change it and it`s going to take a while, what they don`t tell you is that anybody could do it. That`s why the internet was invented, help forums like these and the good ol` manuals and schematics. Like I always say about anything, anybody can do everything as long as they believe in them. It was made by man, it can be repaired by man.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, anyone can fix a car engine too, if you have the tools and know the difference between a metric and SAE adjustable wrench! :)

But the advantage of having a [reputable] shop fix it is they won't stick you with the cost of replacing the whole screen too when replacing the inverter was all that was necessary! :)

millermil

millermil

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
useful infor for me ,thanks

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

useful infor for me ,thanks

Great! That's what forums are all about.

TheUnbeliever

TheUnbeliever

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know I'm 2 years out of this thread, but i wanted to let you both know that i just fixed my laptop from your conversation. thanks a bunch!