Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W7 restoration points disappear?

• Please log in to reply

loki16

loki16

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
using W7 pro.

i've created a few restoration points in the past 6 months yet when i go back i get the message that this has never been done. there is plenty of space (5% of a 300gb disk) available.

i hope to never ever use this but would rather have it up my sleeve.

any thoughts??

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Not sure I understand you correctly, but it's a fact that SR only uses a fixed amount or percentage of total free disk space for Restore Points up to user-specified limit. As this limit is reached, older restore points are automatically deleted (without warning) to make way for newer ones. So if you made a restore point say, 6 months ago, there's very little chance it will still be available today.

loki16

loki16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
clarification:
i've created 2 or 3 restoration points over the 6 months or so since i installed W7(64). when i go back to look they have disappeared, ie, there are no restoration points at all.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Restore Points have a time limit depending on your settings (30 days ect) and also how much space is allocated to them (5%, 10% 15% of hard drive), everytime you change hardware or update drivers it does a restore points the same for some programs so if you do not have any restore points at all maybe you have it disable.

If it is enable then try to manually do a restore point and right after go back to see if it is in your list of restore points, if you do not see it then you might have a program stopping you from making restore points, if so then you will need to post in the malware section.