Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

file sharing only accounts ?

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i need to create an account that can be assigned ntfs and share permissions but cannot be used to log into the computer and wont create a user profile in documents and settings when used. if you cannot disable local logins than it has to be hidden to the point where noone can use it on the local computer. i want to be able to give aproximatly 5 people access to different shares withought giving them the ability to logon locally

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
how are they going to get to the shares if they can't log on to the computer? domain or workgroup?

in local group policy there is a policy to deny local logon (i'll look for it after i get back from lunch if you don't find it on your own in gpedit.msc). you would just add the usernames to that list

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i want them to be able to log on from remote computers to map the shares i just dont want them to be able to sit down and logon to the server and use it as a desktop.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok, gonna ask again (i know i've asked in other threads) is this in a domain environment or is this purely workgroup?

if it's a workgroup, it's a little more difficult, but you can create a local user for them on the "server" and give that user file permissions, then go to gpedit.msc and find the "deny local logon" (or something to that effect) policy and add their users to that policy.

if it's a domain, you would need to do some prep work. if you've already got all of your servers in their own OU, then you're good (especially if you want to deny these users from logging on locally to all the servers), if not you need to make an OU specifically for the servers that you want to deny access to. then you need to make a domain group policy (gpmc.msc) that has the deny local logon policy configured (this is where it would be easiest to make a security group and add users to that group, then add the group to the policy) and apply that policy to the OU that the servers are in.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

ok, gonna ask again (i know i've asked in other threads) is this in a domain environment or is this purely workgroup?

if it's a workgroup, it's a little more difficult, but you can create a local user for them on the "server" and give that user file permissions, then go to gpedit.msc and find the "deny local logon" (or something to that effect) policy and add their users to that policy.

if it's a domain, you would need to do some prep work. if you've already got all of your servers in their own OU, then you're good (especially if you want to deny these users from logging on locally to all the servers), if not you need to make an OU specifically for the servers that you want to deny access to. then you need to make a domain group policy (gpmc.msc) that has the deny local logon policy configured (this is where it would be easiest to make a security group and add users to that group, then add the group to the policy) and apply that policy to the OU that the servers are in.

no it isn't a domain.
the server is running off my personal laptop thats the entire reason i don't want them to have local logons XD. but thanks for telling me it is in local group policy now i know where to look ill reply to this thread again if i cant figure it out.

Edited by mikeloeven, 01 July 2010 - 09:01 AM.