Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

upgrading a dell laptop

• Please log in to reply

cindyrb8603

cindyrb8603

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a dell b130 laptop that crashed over a year ago and never really messed with it since. I wiped it clean and just finished restoring all the drivers and stuff. I am going to be passing this laptop off to my younger sister in law for when she goes off to college next year. It's about 5-6 years old (I either got it in 2005 or 2006)... but there is practically nothing on this computer besides the few factory things. It is running rather slow.

It has Windows Xp, Service pack 2, version 2002, Intel Pentium processor 1.70HGz, 504 MB of RAM, 34.1 GB listed under drive C..

Any suggestions to increase performance for this laptop without spending a lot of money?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's a five year old laptop. It'll run like a five year old laptop.
There's not really a lot you can do to speed a five year old laptop up. It'll be fine purely for college work, you don't need an all-singing and dancing machine to type an assignment.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
If it were mine:

Edited by SpywareDr, 30 June 2010 - 05:46 PM.

cindyrb8603

cindyrb8603

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
[quote name='SpywareDr' date='Jun 30 2010, 01:45 PM' post='1861386']
If it were mine:[list=1]
[*]Max out the RAM (2GB):
http://www.crucial.c.....Inspiron B130
You want the 2-piece, (1GB each piece), "Kit", (matching pair).

(Note: If you can afford it, install the largest, fastest hard drive that the laptop's BIOS can handle).

Thank you for these suggestions! I'm going to do the updates, and look into this. Are they difficult to install? I've never done upgrades/work on a laptop before. the 2GB you listed are pretty decent priced, something I can spring for.

Any suggestions for hard drives?