Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

print

• Please log in to reply

ricb

ricb

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a wireless network for a friend.

Current set up
At the moment he has a desktop pc running windows xp connected by Ethernet cable to a Linksys Wireless - G ADSL Gateway WAG54GS (see http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000BZU9SC).

There is a telephone cable coming of the the gateway to the telephone socket and also another cable coming out but I'm not sure where it goes!!

Wireless Network
Anyway, he has just bought a laptop with windows vista. He wants to connect it to a wireless network. At the moment, as stated above, the desktop PC is connected (wired) to the internet via the gateway. I presume I can also set up a separate wireless network through the same linksys gateway and connect the laptop to this??

Is this the best way to proceed? What would you advise?

I’m a novice so please reply in plan non-tech English! :)

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Gord

Advertisements