Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP <filename> is not a valid Windows image

• Please log in to reply

bob21197

bob21197

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am posting this on the advice of jwang01 from the Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal forum. Over the past few weeks I have been getting frequent error messages that say a file (usually dll or exe) is not a valid Windows image. This message sometimes results from an attempt to start an app, and sometimes from something reuuning in the background. On closing the error message, the system opertion becomes erratic. Attempting to start an app at this pint usually causes the following error message:

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service

A reboot brings the system back to "normal" operation, but within minutes to hours the problem reappears. I initially posted to the malware forum assuming it was malware. At the direction of jwang01, I have run several scans but no malware was identified. Refer to the following link to the malware forum thread for more information regarding what has been done thus far:

http://www.geekstogo...p;#entry1861435

Looking forward to your help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista/7), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista/7).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista/7, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista/7 case).

bob21197

bob21197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Broni,
Ran scf as requested. No change.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did the "sfc" ask you for Windows CD at any point?

bob21197

bob21197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes it did ask for the Windows CD as soon as it started.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you provide Windows CD, when asked?

bob21197

bob21197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
yes. After that point, it ran without any additional requests.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Does the issue happen, when you're doing something in particular?

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
While we appreciate the fact that you want to help out, we do not allow non-Staff Members to post Malware help on the boards. There are too many things that could go wrong. Many of our members are not well trained in computer operation and do not have the skills required to remove these infections on their own. After all, if they could remove the infection safely on their own, they wouldn’t be asking us for assistance. We prefer to have these issues fixed in the controlled environment of the malware forum with the assistance and guidance of our Malware experts. I hope you can understand the sensitive nature of this.

If you are interested in training to become a Staff Member, please go Here and fill out an application.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Edited by Rorschach112, 01 July 2010 - 03:37 PM.

bob21197

bob21197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have not seen an identifiable pattern. Sometimes it occurs when I start an app (none in particular), other times when I interact with a running app, still other times it appears to be triggered by an app running in the background.
FYI
Here are the last few error messages I have gotten:

The application or DLL F:\Windows\system32\wbem\wbemcomn.dll is not a valid Windows image
The application or DLL F:\Windows\system32\wbem\wbemsvc.dll is not a valid Windows image
The application or DLL F:\Windows\system32\hnetcfg.dll is not a valid Windows image
The application or DLL F:\Windows\system32\wbem\fastproxy.dll is not a valid Windows image
The application or DLL F:\Windows\system32\hnetcfg.dll is not a valid Windows image

Advertisements

bob21197

bob21197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Oddysee,
Will do and will then post the log.

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Have you ran an error scan yet? Go to My Computer and right click your hard drive and click properties and then the tools tab. Then click check now. Make sure both boxes are selected. You'll have to restart your computer and let it do the scan.

Have you done this scan yet? If you have. Did the computer go through all 5 stages of the scan?

Also, post a hijackthis log.

Is your hard drive F:? It's usually C:. Do you have a C: drive on your computer?

Edited by Oddysee, 01 July 2010 - 02:53 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Oddysee

http://www.geekstogo...?act=boardrules

Because of the potential for harm, only staff members approved for malware removal are allowed to offer malware removal advice or reply to malware topics.

Bob
Do not post any HJT log in this topic.
Your computer has been declared clean, so far.

bob21197

bob21197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Broni,

Understand no Hyjack log here. I concur this computer is not infected after extensive scanning. Also, the chkdsk had been run previoiusly. I reran it for confirmation. All 5 stages ran successfully.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest repair installation: http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138