Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i5 Quad Core, or AMD Quad Core

• Please log in to reply

Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Basically I'm having a hard time choosing between the i5 Quad Core or an AMD Quad Core. Both are very nice processors and I keep getting multiple opinions on which one to get and for different reasons, some are customer statistics, some are factual proofs and other opinions are based on experience. I'm a hardcore gamer kind of, and I play games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 (I can't play right now because my FPS is so bad) and I also play WoW (When I raid I'm at about 5fps which really makes it hard to play) Right now I'm running these specs

Intel Pentium D 2.8 Ghz DualCore (*)
Corshair 4GB 800MHz (DDR2)
Abit Fatal1ty Motherboard i-f90hd
BFG 250 GTS 512MB
Coolermaster GX 650Watt PSU
Coolermaster CM690

As you can see the first 3 parts are outdated (especially the CPU) and I really want to upgrade. I really want an i7, but it's a bit overkill right now, so I thought I would go with an i5 until I saw the price for the i5 Quadcore, so I started looking at AMD Quad Cores, but I did my research first and asked a few people and I got different opinions on which one to get. Then I thought that I should upgrade my RAM while I'm at it, and especially after I found out that all "i" series motherboards are all DDR3 and not DDR2.

So I'm upgrading the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, and I don't know which one to go with. I have about 300$ total right now, but I am selling some stuff on Craigslist to make more money. To get the i5 with the Motherboard and RAM, it'll cost a minimum of 400$, and if I went with the AMD Quadcore it would cost a minimum of 300$ and I don't know what to go with. I don't have a job which makes this decision 10x harder because I want to spend my money wisely.
So can you guys help me out maybe? Is the i5 really worth an extra 100$, or should I save 100$ by getting the AMD Quadcore. Just keep in mind this computer is used for school work and gaming. Not much video editing but I may get into that someday.

Advertisements