Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory upgrade question

• Please log in to reply

mboy12

mboy12

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
hi, im currently using a IBM NetVista Type 8307 computer. It runs at a decent speed but can be very slow at times especially when running multiple programs. I was thinking of maybe upgrading the ram..these are the current computer specs:

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
# Available Memory Slots: 0
# Total Memory Slots: 2
# Dual Channel Support: No
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz Model 2, Stepping 9
# CPU Speed: 2392 MHz

I wanted to know if switching one slot to maybe 1gb of ram is worth it and if it would have a noticeable effect one the computer..

Advertisements

Treize

Treize

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
While I'm not familiar with the computer, I'm going to assume its a desktop. In my opinion, you should swap both of them out and max out with 2 1GB RAM modules. If you go with your plan you will see a performance gain, but in the long run as you install newer programs you will probably see a decrease in performance. Better to max it out which will give you greater performance longer than to have to incrementally keep upgrading (as long as budget is not a concern).

The more RAM the better especially with memory hogging applications lice virus protection and web browsers.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

While I'm not familiar with the computer, I'm going to assume its a desktop. In my opinion, you should swap both of them out and max out with 2 1GB RAM modules. If you go with your plan you will see a performance gain, but in the long run as you install newer programs you will probably see a decrease in performance. Better to max it out which will give you greater performance longer than to have to incrementally keep upgrading (as long as budget is not a concern).

The more RAM the better especially with memory hogging applications lice virus protection and web browsers.

thanks for the advice!
yes, my computer is a desktop.ive been doing some research on what ram would be compatible but im still a little sketchy on the subject. how can i tell exactly what ram would work. some places told me a ram with a speed of pc2700, other said pc2100, does that make a diffrence? also the mhz in each ram seems to differ, the ones in my system are around 133mhz but some they sell are up to 333mhz for my computer type, would that make a difference?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

ok thanks.
Which would you suggest? the results i got from the Crucial online scanner are here :

http://www.crucial.c...DB5F0DC31D926C3

I have been looking around for compatible ones but im still unsure of what specifically my computer would take... for example I found this one:

• 184-pin unbuffered DIMM
• Density: High
• PC2700 333FSB
• 2.5 Volts
• 6 Layer unbuffered
• CAS Latency 3
• 4 Bank
• Off-chip driver (OCD) impedance adjustment, and on die termination (ODT)

shipping Technical Information:
Memory Size: 1GB DDR 184 Pin
Number: 1GB
Memory Speed: 333Mhz

More Information:
1024MB
Non ECC
Non Registered
UnBuffered
6 Layer
Non Parity

Physical Characteristics:
Form Factor: 184-pin DDR, Gold Pin, Green PCB

* Performance: PC2700
* Dual Channel ready
* 2.5 Volts
* DQ DQ Burst Frequency: 333MHz
* Inputs and outputs are SSTL-18 compatible
* CAS latency 3.0
* 128x4 X 2 DDR SDRAM CHIP CONFIGURATION
* SDRAM have 4 internal banks for concurrent operation
* Differential clock inputs
* Data is read or written on both clock edges
* Bi-directional data strobe with one clock cycle preamble and one-half clock post-amble
* Address and control signals are fully synchronous to positive clock edge
* Programmable Operation:
* Burst Type: Sequential or Interleave
* Burst Length: 4, 8
* Operation: Burst Read and Write
* Auto Refresh (CBR) and Self Refresh Modes
* Automatic and controlled precharge commands
* Serial Presence Detect
* SDRAMs in FBGA Package
* RoHs compliance

Would this one or one of similar settings work or is there a specific spec i should be looking out for?

Edited by mboy12, 01 July 2010 - 03:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is what I suggest..go to 2 gigs of memory using the recommended modules crucial shows HERE
If you need suggestions where to buy let me know and i will locate them on TigerDirect and NewEgg.

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 July 2010 - 04:22 PM.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

This is what I suggest..go to 2 gigs of memory using the recommended modules crucial shows HERE
If you need suggestions where to buy let me know and i will locate them on TigerDirect and NewEgg.

the problems is those are a bit pricey...ive been looking for cheaper alternatives on places like ebay by using the same specs as the one shown on the crucial site...the one i posted above was one that i found...im just not sure how to confirm if its an exact match...

by searching on the forums i found that 128m x 64 ram is high density...the results from the crucial test also gave a ram of 128m x 64 density...can I assume then that another make of the same density would be compatible?

Edited by mboy12, 01 July 2010 - 04:48 PM.

Treize

Treize

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
If you really want to verify your computer specs I would recommend you download Everest Home Edition or CPU Z. With each of these programs it should be able to tell you the exact frequency of your current RAM. With Everest Home (or Everest Ultimate, which can be downloaded on a trial basis) you can get more detail such as you mother board name.

After you find the motherboard name do a simple internet search for "Motherboard Name" + specs, hopefully you'll find something like this:

Southbridge: Intel ICH10R
Memory Type: DDR3
Memory Supported: 1066MHz DDR3
1333MHz DDR3
1600MHz DDR3 (OverClocking)
1800MHz DDR3 (OverClocking)
2000MHz DDR3 (OverClocking)
Triple Channel Supported
Number of Pins: 240-Pin
Number of Slots: 6
Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB - 32bit
12GB - 64bit
Max. Memory Supported Per Slot: 2GB
Channels: 8 Channels

Edited by Treize, 02 July 2010 - 07:28 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tigerdirect has them HERE for 85.00USD for 2 gigs in 2x1 gig modules
NewEgg has them HERE with a larger selection starting at 73.00USD for the 2x1 gig modules
The difference in price and shipping would make NewEgg the less expensive route to take. Buying from Ebay is not something I would suggest as you never know for sure if the modules are new and in working order. At least with TigerDirect and NewEgg you get a warranty and replacement guarantee if they are DOA.

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 July 2010 - 11:05 AM.