Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7: Windows Installer error 1923 on installing AV software

• Please log in to reply

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate (on an ASUS laptop). My problems started yesterday (30 June 2010) when trying to update Microsoft Security Essentials to the latest version. I got error code 0x80070643 every time. I tried all the fixes suggested on MSE Community forum, but to no avail. So I decided to temporarily install some other free AV software while waiting for a response from Microsoft to my support case. I have tried installing the free versions of Kaspersky, AVG, Panda Cloud, BitDefender, etc., but every time I get a Windows Installer error like this:

"Error 1923. Service *** could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services", (where *** is the name of the relevant service.)

In each case, in advance of running the downloaded install package, I have removed all traces of previously installed AV software by using the vendors' own removal tools, deleting all the folders created and cleaning the registry using PC Tools Desktop Maestro, CCleaner, Windows Live OneCare (Cleanup module) etc. Still no luck. Every time, I am logged into an Admininstrator account and run the install package as Administrator.

I have turned off User Account Control and tried creating a new Administrator account from which to install. Once only, I successfully installed BitDefender using this method. "Hooray," I thought, "now I have found a workaround for the dreaded Windows Installer error 1923", so I (stupidly) uninstalled BitDefender and tried to reinstall MSE. Since then, I have been unable to install any AV software and am now running a laptop with only Windows Defender (which I of course turn off before trying to install any AV software).

Any ideas? I am at a complete loss and about ready for the padded cell :)

Cheers, Robster

Edited by Robster the Lobster, 01 July 2010 - 10:15 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I had a similar problem when trying to install a firewall recently on WinVista. I kept getting a "failed to load protection component" error. So I then booted into Windows Safe Mode and it installed no problem.
May be worth a try.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 02 July 2010 - 09:52 AM.

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks, but the Safe Mode boot didn't work -- same error. I eventually got the solution from Microsoft Security Essentials free support: I ran OneCareCleanUp.exe (download here: http://tinyurl.com/26x2hd) followed by some MicrosoftFixIt utility (see http://support.micro...com/fixit#tab0) using the 'aggressive' option. This got rid of the MSE service that was causing the problem. I then reinstalled the latest version of MSE, and it's up and running! ;-)

Edited by Robster the Lobster, 08 July 2010 - 07:33 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your computer may be infected.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Your computer may be infected.

I suggest that you start a <b>new</b> topic in the <b><a href="http://www.geekstogo...moval-f37.html" target="_blank">Malware Removal and Spyware Removal</a></b> area.

<u>Before</u> you start a new topic click on this link --> <a href="http://www.geekstogo...Log-t2852.html" target="_blank">Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic</a>. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your <b>OTListIt2 log</b>.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to <b>THIS</b> thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

(Belated) thanks for the advice, but the problem was caused by remnants of other AV software not having been completely removed. MS free support for MSE helped me to resolve the issue.