Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer has a memory problem

• Please log in to reply

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Well I'm back with yet another issue. :)
I did a chkscn on my lap 06-29-10 and it came back with "Computer has a memory problem.To fix this problem contact you computer manufacture." Then I ran one just 15 minutes ago and as it was running in the 2nd part(has 2 sections that it runs) it came up with "Hardware Problems Found.To fix this problem contact you computer manufacture."So how do I find what memory/hardware has the problem and how do I fix it? Waiting for a response from Toshiba seems to be getting longer.

Thank You in advance :)

Regards

BT

Satellite L305D-S5900
AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual-Core Processor tk 57 1.90ghZ
3GB SDRAM
32-bit OS250GB HDD

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Hey thanks for responding so quick rshaffer61.
I have 2 ram and took the 2GB out first and the scan came back with the same thing. reversed it and put the 1GB in and yet still the same thing. I'm running on 1GB now and the only thing that is different is it is a little slower. I thought I had problems with my CD/DVD because it wouldn't complete the backups. I tried different CD's thinking it was that but then I realized it wasn't as it was doing find with them before. It plays and burns fine so I'm not sure why it won't backup anymore. That was the whole reason for the check scan. I really am confused here.

BT

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So it still says a hardware problem?
So no memtest completed I take it?
Have you done any updates or upgrades to the system just prior to this starting?

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
I guess so. Or at least that's what it is saying

I didn't do the memtest as you stated in bold not too if I could do option A.

The last update prior to this issue was

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Windows Vista SP2, and Windows Server 2008 SP2 Update x86 (KB982525)
Installation date: ‎6/‎23/‎2010 1:06 PM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 80070005
Update type: Important
This update addresses a set of known issues of the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
More information:
http://go.microsoft..../?LinkId=190849
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

but it was updated again the next day and was successful. The last update was 6-25-2010 I also added the NoScript about a week or so ago. I've had the backup issue for a while, about 2 weeks. My son mentioned that there may be a possibility that both ram sticks/cards are going bad. I have another Toshiba lap and will see if the cards will inter change and test it that way tomorrow then get back with you then unless you have any other ideas or suggestions.

BT

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
I did CHKDSK /R (Had to do in safe modeas it would not alow me access to logs)I haven't a clue what it all means. Hopefully you will. Thought it might help locate this error, if I even have a memory problem.If it is of no help then just disregard it.
Mediafire-CBS Logs
Thanks
BT

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go ahead and run the memtest on each stick individually so we can make sure.
Before that please do the following and supply the requested log.
Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
hey thanks Rshaffer61
Here's the screeny and the log from Everest. I'm not sure if I posted it right by way of Mediafire. I will post the results of the memtest in my next reply.

Thanks for your help.

http://www.mediafire...i...jgo&thumb=4
http://www.mediafire.com/?tliyi31mhlm

BT

Edited by bigtrucks, 02 July 2010 - 07:06 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everest report looks good so now we wait for your memtest results.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Hello rshaffer61,Sorry for the delay,
I've dwnld all that you asked me to and there seems to be a problem with the ImgBurn burning.It says "Device Not Ready(Tracking Servo Failure)"
So now what?

Posted Image

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Thanks. Quick question, When I dwnld this do I dwnld it to the desk or where. I tried to dwnld it but didn't function.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download it to the desktop.
I just tried the link in my signature and it went to the website for the program and downloaded with no problem.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
OK! I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I have the program open and copy/paste the Puppy-2.... and it keeps coming up cannot find ISO.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You saved the download burncdcc to your desktop correct?
Then unzipped the file to your desktop correct?

With the memtest file you downloaded and unzipped it correct?
When it unzipped where did you save the files it unzipped?
One should be a ISO file that you find with burncdcc and have it burn that file to a cd using the steps in post #2.