Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with Windows Update 3.1

• Please log in to reply

AviatorTim

AviatorTim

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Windows automatic updates (the little yellow shield that pops up in the system tray when new updates are available) suggested that I download Windows Installer 3.1 However, the installation progress stopped at "initializing" and froze there. To make matters worse, when I try to shutdown the final screen says "updates are being installed. your computer will be turned off automatically" but it never does, it just hangs there.

The forum administrator suggested I try version 2 of Windows Installer 3.1 (thanks Gerry). It got about half way thru the install but hung up when it said "creating restore point". It's not locked up because it still responds to "cancel" but it won't finish the install--hangs at that point for 1+ hour with no progress.

How can I get Windows Installer 3.1 to finish installing?

Tim

Advertisements