Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with computer (pictures included)

• Please log in to reply

SamMast

SamMast

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

I left to go on vacation, and when i came back, my computer wouldn't turn on. It just freezes at my usual startup screen:

Posted Image

Also my keyboard and mouse didn't work since either the usb ports are bad, or since my computer never completely turned on.

One day my computer actually turned on. I was like cool i guess it fixed itself. Then i got a blue screen saying something about BIOS. They were either corrupted or needed to be updated, i don't really remember. Anyways now when i turn my computer on, it freezes at this screen:

Posted Image

I have no clue what to do, since i would try to run my computer in safe mode, however the keyboard doesn't work at that screen. I plugged it into another computer and it worked fine.

Also before that, when my computer usually turns on, it says: Floppy disk seek failure, f1 to continue, f2 to go to setup. I don't know if that might be involved. And my computer model is Dell Dimension E510.

I don't know anything about computers, so any help is useful.

Advertisements

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
Hi, first thing i would do is open the case and unplug and replugin everything that has a plug or cable into it ,also remove and reseet ram and video card [if there is one ]and and other addin cards .

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since you give us no info other than Dell Dimension E510, I am guessing it is a desktop.

Bios corruption would keep it from booting. I doubt it stated to be updated. I would think corruption 1st.
The floppy drive seek probably means it is looking to boot from the floppy drive. Do you have a floppy drive?
Normally after that it would look for the hard disk. So the bios either can't find a hard disk or the bios is not set to look for the next device (hard disk).

Carefully (as suggested) reseat all cables and add on boards 1st.

If no go at this time, then remove the battery for about 5 mins and replace it. The battery is about the size of a quarter and is round. This will reset the bios to default.
Then try turning the computer on again.

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
You could burn a Linux distro on a cd, boot up from the cd to rule out all hardware but the Hard drive.
If Linux boots from a cd, (google this) then you have a bad hard drive or corrupted install on the hard drive.