Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Filetype icons change on their own.

• Please log in to reply

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
This is not a big problem, I am just curious if you might know why this happens.

Not always, but occasionally, after I use or install a certain program, the icons representing certain files (usually the MPEGs in my Recorded TV folder) will change to the icon for that program.

This has happened a couple of times to the afforementioned MPEGs, but once also to the icon next for "Screen Resolution" when I right-click the desktop.

Any idea what could make this happen? It doesn't cause any problems, and a restart always puts the icons back like they should be.

Here are before and after restart pictures:

Before (changed): http://i572.photobuc...cons-before.png

After (normal): http://i572.photobuc...icons-after.png

Thanks for any qlues.

Sincerely,

High_Tech_Redneck

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
have you tried opening the file while the icon is the red one? What comes up? And what type of programs are you installing that changes the icons?

Edited by Rifat Zaman, 04 July 2010 - 02:35 AM.

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
The normal file, in this case a video, would open as usual. About three programs have done this. Two changed an icon after installation, a third after a particular instance using the program (I'd had it for awhile and used it many times before without this effect).

"Survey Logic", or similar name, was a survey taking add-on of some kind which changed only the MPEG icons in the Recorded TV folder. It did not change the Windows/Microsoft (WTV/dvr-ms) Recorded TV files, and it changed no files in any other location.

"Yuuguu", the Japanese word for "fusion", is a screen sharing/remote help program which I have had for several months and used many times. After one particular session, it too had the above mentiond effect on the MPEGs in Recorded TV. At no other time did it exhibit this behavior.

Finally, there is Image Converter Plus, for converting image file types, which changed the icon next to "Screen Resolution" in the context menu which appears after you right-click the desktop in Windows 7.

Thank you for the response and I eagerly await any idea you may have on what causes this phenomena.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
But when you open the MPEG, what media player does it open with? Is it the same, or does it change with the icon? And when you click screen resolution, does it boot up the windows thing or Image Converter Plus?

As for the videos, when you run a setup of a program, if you click on something like a 'typical' install, it will most likely create automatic file associations with that program, e.g if you typically installed VLC, it would make all files with extensions like .avi or .mpg run in VLC, therefore changing the icon

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
MPEG launches the default Windows Media Player, Screen Resolution enters Windows Display Appearance settings.

There did not seem to be any associations changed or created. For example, the MPEG would not have launched Yuuguu.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
This is a difficult one, do you have an antivirus installed? (it's just a possibility) Have you run a full scan recently?

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Yes, McAfee version 9 and Malwarebytes'. Full McAfee scan every week. Malwarebytes' scan in around the last month.

All these changes were far apart over several months.

Edited by High_Tech_Redneck, 07 July 2010 - 01:29 AM.

phillColeman

phillColeman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm one of the Yuuguu developers and I have never seen this before. I suspect that the fact it is the Yuuguu icon that is "chosen" is a complete coincidence - we certainly don't do anything that should change the mpeg file icon (we don't do anything with MPEGs for a start!).

Hope this helps tracking down the problem, Regards, Phill.

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for the reply Phil. I think it's all a coincidence, since it's happened with at least three other programs, including "Survey Logic", "Image Converter Plus", and possibly "Tunatic".