Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials not updating/Spyware Doctor Review

• Please log in to reply

Viper8urstang

Viper8urstang

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm following the very helpful "Malware & Spyware Removal Guide" and would just like some feedback on few things.

Let me start out by saying that I had Spybot Search & Destroy, was satisfied with it until I got the infamous fake windows security threat that kept popping up saying I had viruses, etc...
Windows Anti-malware or some such name which I had the sense to ignore (pushing yes to it each time it asked if I wanted some virus to stay active. Pushing no would have it install it's harmful software). Very annoying P.O.S.

So, because Spybot couldn't detect the fake anti-malware, I googled the name of it and found that Spyware Doctor was recommended for removing this harmful thing. I downloaded the free version and it found it--listed it by the exact name it was using....however, to remove it I had to pay for spyware doctor. So then I googled anti-virus ratings and found that spyware doctor had pretty good reviews. Exceptional review by pcmag.com (the link is below).
The Review of Spyware Doctor

I payed the $29.99 for the anti-malware feature, but saved the $10 by not getting the anti-virus added too. Wanted to see how well the anti-malware did first. First off it got rid of the fake malware detector and some other malware.
One major problem I find with it is that it bogs down the computer tremendously. Uses up a lot of CPU and space.
Another kink I ran into was the fact that I decided to run it's full-scan instead of the intelliscan. One day I found my computer to be going super slow. My first problem is the fact that it took close to 4 or 5 hours to do, I went to bed with the computer on so it could do its scan. It found viruses out the ying-yang, I believe 4 or 5 different trojans and whatnot. I clicked remove and it sent me to their website to get the added $10 feature. My computer was getting slower by the minute, it took about 5 minutes for the start menu to work at the bottom of the desktop. Then it froze on the desktop, even the mouse wouldnt move. I shut the computer off and turned it back on...........and everything was hunkydory. Computer was running fast and everything. So I'm guess this was a case of false positives? I may just be paranoid, but part of me believes Spyware Doctor purposely bogged my computer down to make the trojans seem more believable and to get me to buy the extra $10 package.

I went into that long spiel because I wanted to sort of post a synopsis about what Spyware Doctor has done for me and to get feedback on if it's worth the $29.99, but more importantly, it may be what's causing the problem to my next question. A lot shorter too.

I went to download Microsoft Security Essentials and it downloaded fine, however it said it couldn't update, therefore it could not scan. Rather, it refused to scan without a proper update. Now, I did NOT remove the Spyware Doctor, however, I did shut it down. I'm afraid to remove it because I paid for it and don't know if I can just re-download what I payed for.

The error MSE gave me told me to check my internet connection and try again. I was online at the time. It did give me an error code which I didn't think to write down or print screen it. I've since then uninstalled MSE and re-activated Spyware Doctor so I have something up, and so there's not a potential of MSE blocking SD.

So, my question is, off the top of your head, do you think Spyware Doctor, even though shutdown, was having an effect on MSE getting updates? Should I get rid of Spyware Doctor even though I payed for it, cancel the subscription, and go with something free that works better? Should I listen to pcmag.com ever again? Was Pluto really inconveniencing us being a planet?

I do plan on finishing all the steps in that guide, just ran into a kink I thought you could help with before moving on.

(On a side note, I did download AVG Free a few days ago before MSE and was having the SYSTEM (NOT .exe)error where SYSTEM appears in task manager in the Image Name and User Name columns I've seen some people have where it makes your CPU and memory usage go out of control. I uninstalled AVG and the problem fixed itself. I figure Spyware Doctor and AVG didn't like each other.)

Sorry for the lengthy post. Whoever answers, a preemptive thank you to you.

Edited by Viper8urstang, 02 July 2010 - 02:40 AM.

Advertisements

Viper8urstang

Viper8urstang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No takers, eh? Thought for sure the Pluto joke would get a giggle out of someone.

Well, in-case my lengthy post is too much for someone to care to read, I'll shorten it, but if you want detail, refer to the first post.

-I have the payed version of Spyware Doctor, but without the anti-virus.

-Was following the steps this forum left regarding malware removal and such. Was going to get Microsoft Security Essentials, but after download it wouldn't update, therefore, didn't want to scan.

-I do not wish to uninstall Spyware Doctor completely because don't know if somehow I can re-download it, I did pay for it after all.

Questions are as follows:

1) Even when completely shut down, would Spyware Doctor still have an effect on Microsoft Security Essentials?

2) I've read what most people think about PCTools and anything related to them, so should I just cancel my subscription and get something free that works better? And more compatible with MSE?

3) Pluto: Was it really worth getting off the known planets list?

Now I do not wish to move forward in the process you guys have layed out step-by-step if I don't feel secure in doing so. If you could answer the aforementioned questions, it would be much appreciated. Or just 1 & 2 will suffice.

Once again, thanks again. I'm sure you guys are just busy and are handling the less complicated questions quicker. I realize my post is rather large and foreboding at first glance.

Oh and Happy 4th of July for those who celebrate it! :)

Edited by Viper8urstang, 04 July 2010 - 12:19 AM.

Ibrad2010

Ibrad2010

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Hi,

Yes you should be able to redownload Spyware Doctor later on as long as you still have the key to activate it.

Although many people say bad things about PC tools they are not that bad. It uses the Norton engine with the latest version.

For the MSE issue I have no idea why it would not be updating.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Viper8urstang :)

Apologize for no one getting to you sooner. We do seem to be busier here though.

The questions on virus scanners and malware scanners might have been easier handled in the malware forum.

I will have to be somewhat evasive in some of the answers because I am not a malware expert (I can't give malware advice).

All of the programs that are used in the malware forum are free. Some are created by our members.
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is not a bad program. In fact it is recommended on this forum.
The ones we have are those that are tested and that we like because they do not use a lot of resources.
AVG free was one of them till it became resource heavy and bogged down some computers. It is now at the bottom of our list.
I can't comment on how good Spyware Doctor is or isn't because I haven't used it. It is on the recommended list shown Here. We do recommend SuperAntispyware (free and paid).

I can tell you that it is not recommended to have 2 antivirus scanners on the computer. You can periodically run a on-line scanner.
I would suspect that you could not update MSE due to a possible conflict, or, you could have a virus blocking it. Usually if you have a virus scanner installed you would not be able to install a 2nd one.

I would highly recommend that you read our Free Antivirus and Antispyware software topic

I would also recommend that you continue with the malware forum. I would also suggest that you post a topic and have them give you a clean bill of health.
Be aware that they are quite busy in that forum.

Personally, I use Antivir Free virus scanner, Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM), and Super Antispyware and have never had any issues. I feel that the free ones are perfectly good and I have no reason to pay for something that is free.

I also use ATF temp cleaner and Auslogics disk defrag. also free.

And yes I caught the humor about Pluto. I liked it :)

123runner

Viper8urstang

Viper8urstang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the reply's, I appreciate it. This topic can be closed, my questions from this topic have been solved, however new ones have arrised.

I started from scratch on my anti-virus/anti-malware programs and downloaded both MSE and Malwarebytes (2 recommended steps in the Malware Removal Forum), now I'm having a different problem. I think they're conflicting somehow (getting MsMpEng.exe in task manager). Anyways, I'll take it up in the Malware Forum. Just wanted to give an update to those who answered.

Edited by Viper8urstang, 06 August 2010 - 11:07 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thanks for the update.

I did a search and found that MSE will cause high CPU usage on some computers.
Is that what you are now having?

See if this helps Resolving high CPU

Viper8urstang

Viper8urstang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thanks for the update.

I did a search and found that MSE will cause high CPU usage on some computers.
Is that what you are now having?

See if this helps Resolving high CPU

Thanks! Alas, it didn't work though. All it talked about was Microsoft Defender. Unless MSE and MD are the same thing? Also, when it tells me to copy and paste a particular file to stop it from being scanned, thus preventing MsMpEng.exe, MSE wouldn't allow me to use the file because it contained slashes or colons.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Viper8urstang you have a mebroot infection I have picked it up for you in the malware forum :)