Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows defender preventing management of start up programs

• Please log in to reply

swr

swr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I want to alter my start up programs but when I go to manage start up programs in control panel I am presented with a message -

Windows Defender is turned off

So I try to turn it on by clicking on the link in the message.

Then another message

Windows Defender encountered an error: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or serch Help and Support for how to start a service manually.

I restart and try to open Windows Defender via the control panel and recieve the origional message that it is turned off.

I followed instrustions on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931849 but the start up type is already set to automatic and when I try to start from here I recieve another message -

The Windows Defender service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

The same message is sent if I set its start up type to manual.

Windows Defender is not in my uninstall or change a program list so I cant uninstall this way.

When I try step 4. involving typing actions in the run window the first step is succeeded then the second I recieve another message -

RegSvr32
The module "wuaueng.dll" was loaded but the callto DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005.

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials - could this be preventing defender from starting? I dont use Defender so would happily remove it if possible, I dont understand how it it linked to my start up programs anyway!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Windows Defender incorporates a tool to control and manage startup items, and if WD is enabled that's the recommended method of managing them. You can't uninstall WD in Vista but you can disable it in it's options, though in your case it appears to be turned off anyway.

Some third-party anti-spyware programs will prevent WD from running and automatically disable it to avoid duplication and unecessary waste of system resources.

Anyhow, you can manage your startup items with a free, third-party application called Ccleaner which is extremely popular. It shows all startup items in a single list, regardless of whether they start via the Registry or via your Startup folder. It allows you to Disable, Enable, or Delete an item. CCleaner is also a general privacy and cleanup tool but it's it's Startup Manager is one of the best.
Get it here: http://www.ccleaner.com

When you've installed it, open it's interface and you'll find it's startup manager by clicking "Tools" on the left, then "Startup".

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 02 July 2010 - 09:33 AM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
swr-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Alternatively, you can type msconfig in the start search box and select the startup tab to edit startup program preferences. This utility also has a neat little services tab that lets you (duh duh duh) edit running and stopped services. :)

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you. :)

Edited by FNP, 02 July 2010 - 09:31 AM.

swr

swr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you very much for your help