Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think my (C:) drive is about to fail...

• Please log in to reply

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
When I first turned on my computer this morning, it began acting funny. Firefox wouldn't open, and it was just generally acting slow. I rebooted, and it didn't get past the blue HP logo startup screen (not bsod). I turned the power off and then back on several times, and finally got it to start windows. For some reason firefox still won't work, but opera seems to be working well enough.

When I open My Computer, it takes a very long time (several minutes) to show me my drives. I've managed to transfer all of the important data that I wasn't intelligent enough to have backed up already to an external drive, so that's not an issue now, fortunately. All of the files on the (C:) drive have a small logo on their icons (I've attached a screenshot of one of them).

I ran Datalifeguard Diagnostic (the drive is Western Digital) and the SMART status for both that and a second data storage drive (also WD) is not available (I'll post a screenshot of that).

The C: drive is about two years old, running Windows 7 64-bit.

I'd like to determine if in fact my drive is failing, or there's something else going on.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• icon.JPG
  • diagnostic_screenshot.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, I've finally gotten through that. I ran Datalifeguard from a CD and did both a quick scan and an extended scan. The quick scan only went for about a minute and gave me the error code 0007. The extended scan went for about two hours and gave me the code 0223 and claimed that the disk had been repaired. I restarted the computer, and got stuck at the boot screen. I pressed escape and after several minutes of staring at the screen hoping something would happen, it finally asked me which disk to boot first. I selected my C: Drive, and it started up, but very slowly. Firefox still does will not open, and the os is just generally being non-responsive to most things I do.

Where do I go from here?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It seems that your HD is failing and quickly.
If you are in windows I suggest backing up your data... music, videos, movies and docs
Backup emails and addresses if you use IE or Thunderbird
Then and only then we can continue. I want to make sure your data is secure before we keep going because if the drive fails you will lose everything.

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I've got everything important backed up, and it's not letting me look at my drives now, so I'm guessing it's near the end.

Is it just a matter of getting a new drive and reinstalling the OS? If that's all it is, I should be able to take care of that without much trouble.

Also, what are the chances that something else could be causing the problem? Some other component, or perhaps a corrupted system file? I only ask because if it's something wrong with the motherboard or something, I wonder if I might be better off just getting a new computer.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Possible and if you can get in windows you can try these steps.
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I went to Run and entered Chkdsk /r

A window that appeared to be a DOS screen flashed for about half a second, and it's not showing any sign of doing anything else.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may have to manually reboot as it is suppose to run before windows boots up then.
Before rebooting for obvious reasons try running the SFC steps while you are in windows.

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Tried it, and got the same results as with scndsk--DOS screen blinked on and off before I could even read anything in it. No options to choose from or anything.

Edited by rabidturtle2501, 02 July 2010 - 07:54 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Advertisements

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I got as far as Computer Management, but when I selected Disk Management, it sat there for thirty minutes saying that it was "loading disk configuration information." Here's a screenshot of that window.

Unfortunately, I have something of a family emergency and must leave town immediately. I'll be able to get online, but of course I won't be able to get to this computer. I really appreciate your help with this, and the fact that you and everyone else here are willing to volunteer your time to help people like this. If you don't mind, I'll come back here for help when I'm back in town. Again, I'm sorry to just leave like this, but I really don't have much of a choice.

Thanks Again!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Family time always takes precedence.

We will be here when you return and have time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) I agree take care of family first and we will wait for your return :)

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you very much :)

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well, I'm finally back and I'm having the same results as before with chkdsk and with trying to get into disk management. I do still seem to be able to get into Windows without much problem, which surprises me. I've also just discovered that Norton 360 can't update, which makes me wonder if a virus could have gotten through the firewall and is causing all of this. Anyway, any more help I can get would be appreciated :)