Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

World of warcraft installation & patch problems!

• Please log in to reply

SamGascoyne

SamGascoyne

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi, I'm trying to install the original world of warcraft to my laptop, It all worked perfectly fine and i got it all done, i was able to log in to my account and watch the opening videos. Then it went to the downloading ... page, where it went onto patches, the first patch was done in 20 minuites and it took me to the 'World of warcraft installer' where i'm pretty much certain it was just installing the game all over again but from a client (Which is totally ridiculous as my download speeds are incredibly poor 39.1kb atm!) instead i tried installing WoW The burning crusade discs which seemed to help, i did another 20 minuite patch and for some reason i had exactly the same thing come up only this time its a Burning crusade installer! Its installing all the graphics stuff at the moment as its been on 2% for an hour nearly and i can see all the stuff like DragonOnyxiaSkin.00.skin files going by. What i want to know is, do i really need to go through these?! Its going to take DAYS! to install at this rate and i'm quite sure i never had to go through this before and its never been this slow. I would've asked on the blizzard forums but you need a bloody battle.net account and it wont let me link it to any WoW accounts which sucks.

Hoping for a bloody quick reply as its going to drive me mad!
Thanks.

Sam

Advertisements

Caljif

Caljif

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
If you have an external hard drive available and an installed version of the game on another computer you can simply copy and paste the entire folder to your current computer which you are trying to run the game off. So long as the file path is exactly the same you won't have any future issues, strangely you don't actually have to have WoW installed.

Yes you do need all those files because the game is updated constantly, it prevents individual players experiencing differences within the world. If you install the original, TBC then WOTLK your total download size will be reduced dramatically. Also if you are unable to download from the official blizzard downloader their are some trusted mirror sites (mainly www.wowwiki.com) which can allow you to download the latest patches.

Hope this helps.