Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook

• Please log in to reply

Borrowed Time

Borrowed Time

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
As the description states. I had XP and Outlook worked fine. But I had Vista sitting there and decided to give it a 2nd try. So I installed it as dual boot. But I couldn't get Outlook to receive. I could send. Apparently. But I had to boot up my XP to receive. I had moved the .pst file to another location and configured Outlook to use the same file in each OS. In the new OS do however receive some junk mail. But to send I would have to go to the XP email. I have now installed XP on another machine and again configured Outlook to use the same pst files. And again I cannot receive mail.

Thank you for any help.

Edited by Borrowed Time, 03 July 2010 - 10:02 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227
See the link to repair
OR if that does not solve it check the allowed programs through your Firewall if NOT Windows Firewall OR check your pop-up and spyware, blockers to allow Outlook.

Borrowed Time

Borrowed Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the reply. I found and ran scan.pst on my pst folders. I made sure that Outlook was excepted in Microsoft Firewall. I uninstalled my Webroot antivirus and will use Matwarebytes' for now. Unfortunately still nothing in my inbox.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry, my knowledge of Outlook is limited. I will leave it to someone who uses Outlook and can help further.

Borrowed Time

Borrowed Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
No problemo. Actually there are several very buggy things on this install. My mouse refuses to maintain one of its settings. That is the speed with which it moves across the screen.I want it maintained at the highest speed yet it always resets to medium. Much too slow. In addition on the mouse when I open a new app or even a new browser window the scroll wheel drops out of smooth motion into the clicking motion.

Individual windows refuse to maintain proper focus. So that I am forced to click on a button several times to enable viewing. Either that or 'show desktop' and from there select the corresponding taskbar button.

Also in the taskbar and startup menu I am unable to right click. Nothing happens. So I can't right click. Create shortcut. Then drag the shortcut to new location. I can't grab any existing shortcuts and move them. That's all for now. I'm sure there are more.

Actually maybe all these things are a sign of a virus. I never thought of that.

O.K. the one about not being able to right click in the start menu was just enabling dragging and dropping. But the other stuff is still buggy.

Edited by Borrowed Time, 03 July 2010 - 07:38 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Knowing that and you already have MBAM and presumably have scanned it I would if anything was found at all go to the Malware Forum and use the self help and then post in that forum if you have difficulty.
Proceeding as though everything is clear and in any case it will do no harm I would go to Start, Right click My computer, click properties, click Tools, Click error checking, click check now, click to check the box "automatically fix file system errors", click Start and reschedule for next restart.
Do so and ensure you do not interrupt.
Then go Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, Application, scroll down to Winlogon and examine results of chkdsk.
I would then go START, run and type "sfc /scannow" without colons of course and note space between sfc and /.
This is system file checker. You may need to insert the XP CD if the SFC run needs files it cannot find on the hard drive.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 July 2010 - 08:59 AM.

Borrowed Time

Borrowed Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the replies. I have resolved all problems. I have reinstalled Vista as my OS and left XP. I'll reinstall that on the second computer. I quite like Vista now. I had in on my shelf since I bought it with my new pc and tried it and didn't like it. But now it seems very nice with SP2 and very stable and almost appear to resolve all problems on its own. I'm quite impressed. I'm sure Windows 7 is still better as everyone says but this OS was paid for and just sitting there.

Thanks for your responses. I have one issue with Vista and so will start a new topic there.

Edited by Borrowed Time, 10 July 2010 - 07:03 AM.