Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

myheritage.com

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I recently made the terrible error of requesting the downloading of a geneology software from www.myheritage.com. However when i saw how huge the program was I negated the download, but now whenever I boot up Windows i get this dialogue box asking me what should be done with the file, I can x it out but on every bootup it comes back up on my desktop. Is there a way to remove this.?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You cannot simply cancel a download as some of the files are already installed.
What you should have done was to let it run and then uninstall it.
When did you attempt the download and do you have a restore point prior to that

mclean

mclean

• Pip
  • 9 posts
You can normally cancel a download of a program or file without problems.....that just puts the program on your computer......it's the Install protocol that starts putting the files on the drive. Anyway, here are a couple ways to try to delete the program files. I assume you already looked at your Install/Uninstall Programs in Control Panel and didn't find it there.....if it's there you can try to Uninstall it. Otherwise, go into Run, type msconfig and look at the Start Up programs to see if you can find one related to myheritage and, if so, you can uncheck it so it won't start up when you boot up Windows. Next, you could download a copy of MS Install Cleanup Tool (msicuu2.exe) from some Internet site......MS doesn't offer it anymore from its site. For example, I used MS Install Cleanup Tool to successfully remove the old version of MS Security Essentials from my desktop after I couldn't get the Control Panel's Install/Uninstall Programs to do it and I could install the current version of Security Essentials until I removed the old version. Third, you can download MS Install Cleanup (msicuu2.exe)from some site (MS doesn't offer it anymore on its site)and see if the program is listed and then uninstall it. I would then look under the Program Files in My Computer, C Drive, for any program files for myheritage and delete them. One of these approaches should eradicate the pesky program. Last but not least, you could just download the complete myheritage program and then install it, and then go into Control Panel Install/Uninstall Programs and uninstall it.

Edited by mclean, 04 July 2010 - 05:53 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you download and tell it to install at the same time?
Did you just download it and save the file.

A lot depends on what was used to download. In other words, MyHeritage looks to be using a (if the connection is lost or interrupted continue at next connection) type of download.
You may have to continue the download.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I agree with 123Runner, MyHeritage uses an .exe file download on Run or Save.
If he clicked the Run, depending on the stage, he cannot then just cancel, if it was at the stage of the actual installation.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 July 2010 - 09:26 AM.