Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

serial ata hard drive problems..

• Please log in to reply

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have been building a new computer and i bought this harddrive on newegg.com
its a western digital 160 gig serial ata 7200 rpm with 8mb cache...
>and it didnt come with any installation disks or drivers or anything. and i have everything installed correctly but while executing windows 2000 pro setup it doesnt recognize any harddrives on my system..plus i have used the data lifeguard tools version 11.1 which recognizes the drive and i partitioned and formatted the drive with that ...but when i put the windows 2000 disk in it still doesnt recognize a hard drive....

does anyone know what to do about this?

- Josiah Fordahl

Advertisements

CuBiCLe

CuBiCLe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I guess you want to install windows on that, right? You'll have to find drivers for it, probably at your motherboard's maker's site, or in Western Digital's site. You downolad the drivers and put them in a floppy, and press F6 (at least thats how it is in Win XP) when it is requested before the installation...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Cubicle is right, you will need a driver but it's not for the drive, it's for the sata controller.
If you have just built the machine, you should have the CD that came with the motherboard. Assuming that the sata controller is on the mobo & not a seperate PCI card, then the drivers for it should be on the CD. Ideally it should create a drivver floppy disk and as Cubicle said, you need to press F6 in windows setup when prompted & insert the disk. This applies to windows 2000 as well as XP.

The only other problem you may have is the drive size. If you partitioned the drive into one single 160GB partition then I don't know if win2000 will recognise it. You may have to create 2 or more partitions, to reduce the size of the primary partition. I know XP has a limit of 137GB, but not certain what it is for 2000.

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
well actually...... i do not have a floppy drive... or the disk from the motherboard.....
i kinda overlooked having a floppy drive.... and i got this motherboard as a remanufactured one to save cash...... so ..... lol this is tremendous....
this is what i thought i was supposed to do but wasnt totally sure.. and i didnt wanna do it unless i totally had to... thanks.... you have confirmed my worst fears :tazz:!!!
- Josiah Fordahl

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just buy a floppy drive, they're really cheap. You should be able to download the sata driver from the motherboard manufacturers website.