Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Program

• Please log in to reply

rusty38dei

rusty38dei

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have a program that is installed, I can see it on my system trey and task bar. The problem is I was dragging it over and it is almost like it fell off my screen. LOL. I have tried everything I know to drag it back. I even uninstalled it and reinstalled it. To no avail can I get this program back on my screen. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello rusty38dei...

I'm a little confused. Is it the desktop shortcut to the application that's missing, or is the program failing to display when opened?

wannabe1

rusty38dei

rusty38dei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
program is failing to display.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you were "dragging it around", did you drag the window off the screen and drop it?

Will the program display if you open it while running in Safe Mode?

rusty38dei

rusty38dei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
yes that is exactly what happend. I dropped it while dragging it. I just picked a really bad place to drop it. I feel like a idiot.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This sometimes happens when the extended desktop feature is enabled, but you don't have monitors set up for the window to extend to.

The first thing I'd try is to start the machine in Safe Mode and see if the program displays. If it does, size the window to where it's fairly small and center it in the screen...then close it, open it again to see if it opens in the same location on the screen. If it does, close it and reboot into Normal Mode and see if the resized window appears.

Another thing to try is to open the program, then right click on the task bar button and choose "Maximize"....it may just show you enough window to move it back.

You may also be able to drag it back if you can manage to click on the top border...while not being able to see it. :)

rusty38dei

rusty38dei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok Ill try that thanks for your help. I will let you know if safe mode works

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I'm not sure what operating system you are running, so this might not work,but try pressing Start+P and then go over to "Computer Only"

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I'm not sure what operating system you are running, so this might not work,but try pressing Start+P and then go over to "Computer Only"

rusty38dei

rusty38dei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Windows Home 7 Premium, and I hate it. Safe Mode didnt work and when I open it and right click on it in my taskbar, I dont have a option to maximize it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try Rifat Zaman's suggestion...press and hold the Windows Logo key (usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and press the P key. This will bring up the desktop extension dialog.

rusty38dei

rusty38dei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thank you guys, that worked. WOOO HOOOOO

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great! :)

Nice catch, Rifat Zaman. I didn't catch that Windows 7 was the current OS... :)

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Thanks wannabe, i had that happen to a friend too, and this worked for him, so i thought it would work too (P.S. This is a great site, i only joined yesterday and I've been hooked since! It;s a good feeling helping someone out. I'll be a regular from now on!)

Edited by Rifat Zaman, 03 July 2010 - 08:54 PM.