Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

msconfig

• Please log in to reply

jstblush

jstblush

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am trying to get my pc to quit hanging all the time. I tried to run msconfig to stop some things from running, but it will not open. Any help?
Thank you,
Sherry

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
You can try this program which is very handy and useful if you do not like using MSCONFIG (Or in your case can't). WinPatrol from BillP Studios.

http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

jstblush

jstblush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you. But I was thinking I should find out why msconfig isn't working. Could it be from virus or malware? I have a thread in the malware and virus forum. But I had no idea this wasn't working until I decided to try to shut down some start up programs.
Sherry

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Could be different reasons for it and one of them might a malware.

Try to run it in safe mode to see if the problem is the same or not

Are you logged in as Administrator

Also found this on the net maybe you can check it out:
my MSCONFIG failed and i finally figured out that a malicious program had stuck a file called "boot" in system....here is the path C:\boot. .....you can open it with "notepad"...its a "prevent run" file....it prevents msconfig from running and plays [bleep] with trying to restore your system....DELETE IT.....this will work!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Go to http://www.dougknox....p_emerutils.htm and get the Repair file. It makes copies of the msconfig, task manager and regedit.

I would also suggest that you get a clean bill of health from the malware forum before coming back here. There is malware that will make the programs inaccessable.