Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Registry - AppInit_Dlls

• Please log in to reply

GXLZPGX

GXLZPGX

• Pip
  • 8 posts
If you guys could, please navigate the way shown below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Windows

When you click the last folder "Windows" in the above navigation, where it says:

AppInit_Dlls

Tell me what the information you have set, such as:

Name: AppInit_Dlls Type: Blah Data: Blah

Because recently, I have had a virus that disabled Nortin AntiVirus, and I downloaded an extra tool that Norton has provided, which allows me to remove malware like that, It listed two files when it was done scanning, that were detected as malware, but when I clicked "Fix," it had a fatal error while removing it. Since that didn't work, I recently downloaded the "Malware Removal Guide" designed by Norton, and when I got to the navigation (Provided above), and looked at the "Data" part of AppInit_Dlls, it displayed the two file names that were also detected as malware. If you help me, I may be able to disable the files that are causing my computer failures etc. Thank you so much!

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE FOLDER "AppInit_Dlls," PLEASE TELL ME! IT IS VITAL TO MY COMPUTER THAT I DO NOT HAVE THIS FOLDER IF IT IS NOT ORIGINALLY APART OF MICROSOFT!

Edited by GXLZPGX, 03 July 2010 - 08:49 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,723 posts
  • MVP
Nothing on either my XP or Vista from Microsoft. Vista shows guard.dll which I know is Comodo's firewall.

Why don't you just run OTL (step 5 in the malware guide - http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=2852) and copy and paste the log. It will show me what is hiding under appinit and OTL can be used to safely remove if need be.

Ron