Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logitech Webcam Software won't uninstall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mewgirl

mewgirl

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
When trying to uninstall Logitech webcam software (Logitech is consumer unfriendly and does not put model numbers anyware on their hardware or software), using CCleaner (which seems to just use the regular ADd/Remove uninstaller, making the inclusion of this rather unessecary unless I'm missing something), a window opens up, then disappears before ti stops being white. Current process running are shown:

Posted Image

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am not sure what your complaint is. What stops being white?

Yes, CCleaner uses Windows uninstaller and that's a good thing. And you can tell the slider in your screen shot that there are many more services running but I see nothing unusual with what is shown.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Closed and Duplicate Topic Here

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Uh, may I ask exactly why you and another staff member closed two DIFFERENT topics, saying they were duplicates *even though not one single phrase even was duplicated in the two DIFFERENT topics), and redirected them to each other?

Both topics have to do with the Logitech web cam and be addressed in this one topic. By having multiple topic going you may receive advise that could cause the other topic to become even worse then before. If we do this then the amount of time and length of assisting you would take longer and that is not what we would want to have happen. Our goal is to provide you with the quickest and most effective assistance possible.
I apologize for this and if you still feel this is incorrect you are free to contact a Admin or Moderator and explain the issues with them. They can then determine if two topics are needed and will gladly reopen the other topic.
We have provided links to both topics in each of the topics so they can compare the two and make their decision.
Your other topic is located HERE if you would like to have them look at my response and follow the link I provided to the other topic which I have closed.

mewgirl

mewgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ApplWhen you open a slow application (Microsoft apps for example) or install/uninstall something, the window will be white until it is ready to receive input....

Why is a program using extra files and extra memory in order to do nothing but completely duplicate something that is already on your PC taking up it's own memory and hard drive space "a good thing"?

I am not sure why you say there are more services running then there are, when I took a screenshot for the sole purposes of showing exactly what services are running, nor do I have any idea why you would say "none of them are unusual" - of course they are not unusual, pretty hard to do that and still have it be the minimum. Of course that was a spur-of-the-moment screen shot so a couple of those were started for the sole purpose of trying to get the installer to work.

The "complaint", as you call it, was that "When trying to uninstall Logitech webcam software (Logitech is consumer unfriendly and does not put model numbers anywhere on their hardware or software), using CCleaner (which seems to just use the regular Add/Remove uninstaller, making the inclusion of this rather unessecary unless I'm missing something), a window opens up, then disappears before it stops being white.

Since the most common cause of something like this would be a service that needs to be running, Current process running were shown:".

However, I was not aware that I had not explicitly stated that this could be due to a process. I probably that that the fact that I posted a list of running services, which are clearly like 80% less then Windows would be running on it's own, would have give the idea of that possibility.

In the screenshot, Application Management is not started because it would not start. That has been fixed, and does not make a difference.

If every user that had a problem with a Logitech webcam posted in the same topic, that would make one [bleep] of a long and confusing topic. In addition, there ARE multiple different kinds of Logitech webcams, even though there seems to be only one software that runs them all.

In this particular case, it IS referring to the same computer and the same webcam, but if I am the poster, that is usually EXTREMELY unlikely to happen. Replying to this topic by mentioning what services need to be running in order to install the Logitech Webcam software (refereed to as "LWS")running, will not in any way help me finish uninstalling the software I need to do that with (as you have read the other topic), not will it in any way help me restore my registry and/or find out if it matters or not whether those entries are restored. In the reverse, finding out what those entries were and/or whether or not they need to be restored, will not in any way help me determine what services need to be running in order to run the regular uninstaller (or, if it isn't services, will restoring the entries that were deleted AFTER that help me figure out what it is even if it is not a service).

....And since I can't restart my computer until I know this, and computers restart themselves sometimes anyway, it's really rather important that I figure it out... it's already been about 8 hours. Is this saying 'ZZOMG COMMUNITY YOU MUST RE5PNND 2 ME RITE NOW1!!!!!"? No, it is not. It is saying why I don't understand why you not only did not open both topics once you realized they were different, but, in choosing one, opened the older topic which solution I will not need until/unless I either restart the computer, and, if doing so without restoration, try to take care of any resultant errors, or else until I am trying to install another software with the same problem which happens to need the same services.

If there are any readers who do not understand part or all of the lower half of this message, please click the link to the topic this moderator links, and you will understand what I am talking about. However, if you are just trying to help me solve the problem listed in this topic, understanding anything below the break is not important.

Edited by mewgirl, 04 July 2010 - 04:18 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have only linked to your other Logitech web cam topic. I don't know anything about the topic you have going about the dll files. I'm not part of that topic and if you would like to add a link to that topic then a Admin or Moderator can look at that topic also. Being that it has something to do with dll files it would not be part of this topic. .

mewgirl

mewgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
That topic does not in any way involve a webcam. As I mentioned, the text input area on this board does not function properly. I thought I was replying to a PM because I clicked a link in my e-mail, then must have went to the wrong tab afterwards, and your last post is almost solely a reply to my PM. I had to edit the post several times in order to delete most of it, but could not find any way to delete the final few words, until I figured out how to switch to HTML, which input box function ALMOST properly, and text can be highlighted and deleted as usual. The HTML conversion button has a non-obvious icon.

Actually it would probably be a good idea to delete these last two posts.

Edited by mewgirl, 04 July 2010 - 02:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Title of this topic

Logitech Webcam Software won't uninstall, Probably due to a service

Title of other topic

PLEASE HELP ASAP REGISTRY EDIT PROBLEMS, Logitech webcam software

Both have to do with issues about the webcam. They are better assisted in this topic where the same members and\or techs can assist with the resolution of them.
They may be associated with each other and resolving one may resolve the other.
I have notified the Moderator and Admin of this and hopefully they will be here to clarify and assist.

Edited by rshaffer61, 04 July 2010 - 05:11 PM.

mewgirl

mewgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
.........Actually one has to do with restoring registry edits that may not in any way be related to a camera, and one has to do with installing a camera, neither of which have anything to do with each other even if the registry edits *do* end up being about a camera, but since knowing what services need to be running when you install software is of absolutely no use whatsoever if I can never, ever in the history if my life restart this computer because I am not allowed to ask whether or not it is safe to do.....

......And also none of the last four posts have anything at all to do with what services needs to be running or may need to be running in order to install software, so I am not entirely sure why they exist since the only purpose they serve is to dissuade people from answering my tech support topic question since the topic now being discussed is not about Services or installing software.......

Edited by mewgirl, 04 July 2010 - 03:28 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I am not sure why you say there are more services running then there are,

:) Compare your screen shot to the WHOLE services screen. Your screen shot shows just 13 services running. No way is that all. Certainly, you have many times more than that! Therefore, your screen shot is pretty much worthless.

nor do I have any idea why you would say "none of them are unusual" - of course they are not unusual,

Of course? Wow! Excuse me for trying to help but as I said, anyone can CLEARLY tell by the slider on the right there are many more services running than your shot shows. The fact we can see Application Management under Services (Local) indicates you had that service highlighted when you took the screen shot! But as we all can see, it is not shown on your list. Why? Because you failed to show the whole list!

Since the most common cause of something like this would be a service that needs to be running, Current process running were shown:".

That is not true - in either case. The likely cause is you deleting entries from the Registry that you had no clue what they were for. You blame Microsoft and Bill Gates but did you take the common sense precaution to back up the Registry before dinking with it? I suspect not.

You also failed to tell us anything about your computer (heck, this might even be a laptop) or version of Windows, and apparently would rather spend all your time arguing about the other thread being closed when it IS related to this same hardware and problem! You screwed up by making what was probably a simple problem worse by messing with the Registry, came here seeking FREE support by scattering loosely defined symptoms across multiple posts and blaming MS and BG in the process. Then you complain when rshaffer, in an attempt to understand this debacle, tries to consolidate and make sense of the facts, and cop an attitude with me when I said your partial list of services shown looks normal. All the while, you expect us to understand what you are talking about when you say, "a window opens up, then disappears before it stops being white."

Good luck with your problem.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
mewgirl

You have ranted and raved all day now when we are only trying to help.
You insist that both topics are completely different yet, in each topic you talk about getting the Logitech webcam to uninstall.
You have mucked with the registry when you had no idea what you are doing.

All of us are trying to help, but you continue to tell us that we are wrong.

You mention services. You have not shown them all. There are services that will not always be identical on all computers.

I suggest that you just restart the computer and see if it crashes.

I can tell you from your attitude that anything that we tell you or advise you to do you will throw back at us.

EDIT: I replied to a PM from mewgirl. I wish I had put it up here. It was pretty much identical to what Rshaffer61 replied to in Post 4

Edited by 123Runner, 04 July 2010 - 03:50 PM.

mewgirl

mewgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

:) Compare your screen shot to the WHOLE services screen. Your screen shot shows just 13 services running. No way is that all. Certainly, you have many times more than that!

Actually there are 9 services running in that screenshot, and that is because I was starting the ones I thought could be needed, and then leaving them running in case more then one was needed at once. Yet you say there are 13, and then expect "Many times more then that"? 13 is quite a bit! In fact I think that may be close to the number Windows has a a default! (The ones that stay running anyway.)

Therefore, your screen shot is pretty much worthless. ... Of course? Wow! Excuse me for trying to help but as I said, anyone can CLEARLY tell by the slider on the right there are many more services running than your shot shows.

How exactly does a scrollbar tell you whether or not I have services running and am for some extremely stupid reason (that is, it would be a very stupid thing to do if I had done it) lie to the board about how my computer is set up while asking for help, not only with the computer, but most likely with that very setting?!

The fact we can see Application Management under Services (Local) indicates you had that service highlighted when you took the screen shot! But as we all can see, it is not shown on your list. Why? Because you failed to show the whole list!

I think what you meant to say was, "The fact we can see Application Management under Services (Local) indicates you had that service highlighted when you took the screen shot! I know that is completely irrelevant to whether it is running or not, but I thought I'd mention it anyway! As we all can see, that service is not shown on your list. Why? Because it is not running so it is not part of your list!"

Well, no, I guess that is not what you meant to say, but that is what you would have said if you were going to make any sense.

If you think that having a service highlighted or not shown on the screen somehow means that it must be running, that means you don't know a lot about services and definitely wouldn't be able to tell someone which ones they might need running for a specific purpose. I appreciate and thank you that you are trying to help in the topic, but if you don't know about the topic, it doesn't make any sense to try to help in that topic.

If you thought there was something besides a service that might be causing the problem, it would make more sense to mention that. If not then you are not being helpful just because you don't know.

The likely cause is you deleting entries from the Registry that you had no clue what they were for.

Well, no, that can't possibly be the case, since there were never any entries deleted from the registry that I don't know what they are for. If I had done that, I would have mentioned so: "After deleting such-and-such"... just like I mentioned that my services my be stopped, because otherwise people tend to assume they are not, even if the poster demonstrates that they have enough Windows knowledge to do so.

You blame Microsoft and Bill Gates but did you take the common sense precaution to back up the Registry before dinking with it? I suspect not.

LOL, of course not, how can you do something before doing something else if you have never done the "something else"?

You also failed to tell us anything about your computer (heck, this might even be a laptop)

Laptop services work the same way as non-laptop services

or version of Windows,

On this board your Windows version is listed underneath your screenname, so it does not have to be mentioned

and apparently would rather spend all your time arguing about the other thread being closed when it IS related to this same hardware and problem!

My mistake, I said I appreciate you posting, sorry about that. I would not rather spend "all of my time" making any of these absolutely ridiculous posts, but apparently the moderate would prefer me to spend amounts of my time doing that. it is rather hard to get help with a problem if the thread you posted the problem in is arbitrarily closed for no reason. And, since "installing software" has absolutely nothing, in any way, whatsoever, and there is not a single possible connection you could make between the two, to do with "trying to figure out which registry entries were deleted and whether or not they are importantly needed", unless it was an inability to install or uninstall software DUE to registry errors

You screwed up by making what was probably a simple problem worse by messing with the Registry, came here seeking FREE support by scattering loosely defined symptoms across multiple posts and blaming MS and BG in the process. Then you complain when rshaffer, in an attempt to understand this debacle, tries to consolidate and make sense of the facts, and cop an attitude with me when I said your partial list of services shown looks normal. All the while, you expect us to understand what you are talking about when you say, "a window opens up, then disappears before it stops being white."

What you would have meant to say if you were attempting to be even remotely accurate is, "Bill Gates screwed up by showing results in the "found" area that do not have anything to do with a search, but before that, (that's kind of disjointed too isn't it?) you came to this board asking for help with a problem by posting in exactly what the problem was as well as some extra information in order to avoid wasting people's time while they suggest non-service-related solutions without KNOWING of the possibility that it could be a service first, you did this in one post of course but that's kind of an odd thing to mention because that is pretty much always true, and mentioning how Microsoft's failure to make intelligent software caused you yourself to make a mistake. Then you questioned and corrected the thoughts of 2 different moderators who, in an attempt to be really really strange and rude, not only closed two basically unrelated topics that linked to each other while telling each other to reply to each other, but, upon re-opening only one of them, opened the clearly-less-urgent, older, and unusable-until-other-things-happen-first topic, and then you nicely, normally and conversationally corrected me when I accused you of lying about which services are and are not running on your system. All the while, you expected us (as the helpers on a messages board who's name includes the word "geek" in the title) to actually know that applications generally turn white when they first start up until they are ready to be used or clicked on - a logical assumption but I personally did not make the connection until you explained it."

Well yes, that is pretty disjointed, but I can't really have edited it to be more coherent and still followed your exact words while editing them only for accuracy.

And if you don't believe the topic about my problem should be allowed to have responses then I'm not sure why you said good luck, because there certainly will be no "good luck" with it on this board if I am for some reason not allowed to even ask the question. Or rather not allowed to get replies to it anyway.

This is to anyone: If you believe you ARE helpers, you should not insult anyone who is asking a question. You should not say nor imply that they are stupid or "doing things wrong". For example, people probably post that their computer had major problems because they were using Internet Explorer, but they are not told to install FireFox if they are already aware of it's existence. If someone is aware of a problem they do not need to be insulted about it, but if they post all the details then there is a possibility they can be complimented if anyone finds it worthwhile to do so. EVEN if they use Internet Explorer or were unaware that a UI which is 100% uniform throughout an entire operating system is different ONLY on the one most important part of the system, probably with the sole intent of trying to cause the user to screw it up. (And no I am not saying you should compliment my original post, although I did post all the details, the point was you should not insult someone because of the fact that they posted the details.)

You have ranted and raved all day now when we are only trying to help.

Not really, rschaffer has ranted a bit and I predictably replied, the other guy, well for a minute he acted like he was trying to help with a sad face, but then he decided he was better then me again just because I know how to tell whether a service is running or something, but yes it is reasonable to get annoyed when someone posts in a topic saying they are "helping" but they don't really know about the subject, because the only time a post in that case it neither annoying nor rude is when they say, "I don't know much about it but maybe you can try...", or, "I didn't read the whole thing cause it was long but if you haven't tried X then....". In fact those people often do get corrected by the OP, then they generally reply by saying, "Oh okay I didn't know that sorry I couldn't help you." Rather then accusing someone of lying just because they don't know how to read services... thing is, if I KNOW I don't know about something then i am not going to post in the topic. If I think I MIGHT know, I will mention that "This is not my area of knowledge but I do know that... ". And that is pretty much what anyone else like that does around tech support board on the internet, too.

But actually no one has been trying to help me, certainly not in this topic, and in the other topic, maybe someone has been, but if so they have not yet suggested an answer, and I cannot get to that point because for some reason rschaffer has decided I may only ask questions about the topics that HE thinks are relevant... even though he doesn't know what those are since he can't see my computer.

I have NOT AT ANY POINT in my other topic asked for help getting a webcam to uninstall. I have NOT AT ANY POINT IN THIS TOPIC asked for help in getting a webcam to uninstall, either... so that's going ever more off track now when you are saying something that NEITHER topic is about.

All you have to do is READ the topic (the entire text, not just the particular words used in the title).

On a chat bard, I might make one topic about how much I like eating peanut butter. IN another forum, I might make a topic about how yesterday, while I was eating peanut butter, my mother started hitting me and I hate her a LOT. Neither of these topics relate in any way to whether or not I had peanut butter to dinner, nor are they relevant to each other. These two topics are VERY VERY SLIGHTLY related to each other, but are not in any way the same topic. One is about knowing which services I might need running while attempting to install a software. The specific software was mentioned in case someone knows the services for that specific software off the top of their head. Also, since installing said software is what I was trying to do AT THAT MOMENT, it is indeed the topic of the page.

On the other, 99% unrelated hand, is the topic about "Which registry keys may be located at a location that looks like this, and is there a possibility that missing these keys will break my computer, and if so where can I find info about what to put back into those keys?" This has nothing, at all, in any way, to do with any camera of any kind. If the word I had been searching for was "Keyboard," it still would have been the same post (if the keys had had a similar structure). If the word being searched for was "Mozilla," it again would have been the EXACT SAME POST, if the keys had had a similar structure. These keys, unless they WERE part of the Logitech software install, in which case the solution is simply to tell me you think so, have absolutely nothing to do with any "webcams".

Again NO ONE is trying to help (within the last 8 hours), because NO ONE has posted in the topic about my registry. As mentioned earlier perhaps some people have, and I cannot reply to them I cannot talk about the problem I am having AT THIS MOMENT, i can only talk about the problem I WILL HAVE AGAIN in a few hours... or perhaps days, or perhaps forever, at his rate. Well that was not my decision. That was your and rschaffer's decision. Perhaps if instead of ranting at me about a private message on a public page, the messages in this topic actually related to the topic, perhaps there would be a bit less text in my posts. If you CAN tell me how a post about eating peanut butter is the same as a post about having an abusive mother, and actually be accurate in doing so, then feel free... you'll probably be able to get your own spot on some kind of philosophy show if you can manage that because it would take a [bleep] of a lot of manipulation of the topic. Although that may be easy for some people who read the words but then answer something completely off of what the words say (which you technicality did not do, but saying that either of these topics is about "uninstalling software" is almost the same thing - that if you had answered the tech problem you would have apparently answered it as though it were about uninstalling software, rather then being about installing software and the other about recovering registry items).

You mention services. You have not shown them all. There are services that will not always be identical on all computers.

Actually, the services installed on all copies of the same basic version (home/Pro/etc.) plus service pack are exactly the same, except for those installed by 3rd-party applications, some of which may include OEM services or programs. At least according to every single website which does "services guides". However, any service that is not installed on every single copy of Windows XP SP2 shouldn't be needed for an install, since that would mean some computers aren't allowed to install it.
But aside from that, no one ever asked me for a complete list of services that are on my system. They don't all fit in one window anyway, so it couldn't easily be done with a screenshot. But usually if a helper thinks a service might be needed for something, they just say, "Make sure XXXX is running," and then if the seeker doesn't have it, they will say so and it will be registered or installed if necessary. If the helper simply needs a list to get ideas, I would link them to BlackViper or a similar site for SP2. Well maybe not BlackViper since he actually includes a lot of non-native and uneeded services in some of his lists, such as "iTunes Helper".
And yes I realize it could also be due to something other then a disabled service. However, since services is the only thing I've changed on purpose that is likely to affect such a thing, that is the most likely cause in mu opinion. Most likely, there are people here who are more knowledgeable then me. But since a disabled service is usually the "very very last resort" thing mentioned, because people don't tend to think of it before then, and since, if it is not either a disabled service or a missing file that is also not on the Windows CD nor the Camera's CD, I have no idea what it could possibly be, I listed them.

I can tell you from your attitude that anything that we tell you or advise you to do you will throw back at us.

You have no idea what my "attitude" is like, considering that you are the only one who has not had an "attitude" when posting to me in this topic, e=yet still initiated those who were being rude, insulting, and/or posting without knowledge or posting strange and unrelated things. Anyone who is being attacked will point out the problems with the pseudo-logic of the attackers, if it applies. The only thing that I will reply to by saying "that doesn't make any sense," or a similar thing, is when someone says something that either a) has no relevance b) is clearly incorrect ("Your service must be running because it was highlighted when you took the screenshot") c) is insulting or rude d) involves a manipulative attempt to get as far off the topic of the tech problem as possible or e) is about computers and tech problems in general, but is completely unrelated to what the actual problem is... such as when an idiot on Yahoo !Answers replied to a question abut how to reset the size and position of YIM windows by explaining how to move them around manually - something that anyone asking the question couldn't possibly not know!

At least one of the above has applied to every post in this topic - not saying that all points have applied to each one. But if someone were to, say, actually suggest either a Service that needs to be running or some other (reasonable) reason why the install is not working properly and how to fix it, then of course I would reply back without saying they are wrong about it - at least not unless I've tried it already. But if I didn't say so then I can so now. Unfortunately, no such reply will ever come to this topic, because #d) has been used on the posts in this topic, and for some reason this crazy format of "once on guy replies with a suggestion no one else can make any suggestions" will also make people not answer a legitimate question by a legitimate human being merely because they have been verbally attacked or "made fun of" by others.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
This has digressed to feculent blather now so I am closing the thread and leave it for admin review.

And for the record, since many folks have more than one computer, or come here on behalf of friends or family, we cannot assume the operating system listed is the one in question. Nor can we assume the poster has kept that updated and of course, a listed OS does not describe the hardware.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
mewgirl...

You've wasted enough of our time with this nonsense. If you do not agree with the help you are getting here, then I suggest you find your help elsewhere.

I've also placed you on moderator preview...anything you post will not display on the boards until it's content has been reviewed and approved by a moderator or member of the administrative team

Good luck with your problem...I sincerely hope you are able to get it resolved, but I don't think anyone here will be willing to lend a hand after reading through this topic.

wannabe1