Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAC Network Cable Unplugged

• Please log in to reply

mary_mary

mary_mary

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi there

i'm trying to fix an older relatives netbook for them. they previously used a wireless network connection but since returning home from a holiday where another relative tried to connect them to a network, they are unable to connect. the network they wish to connect to is visible, the problem (I'm guessing) is that under Network Connections the works network cable unplugged appear. I've tried resolving this problem by restoring as many default settings as possible, and by clicking properties>configure>advanced>speed&duplex and changing the values, as suggested in a similar topic. Additionally, when I go to run>ipconfig /all the information which appears underneath is as follows(summerized):
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Media State: Disconnected
Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
Media state: Disconnected

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by mary_mary, 04 July 2010 - 09:39 AM.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit mary_mary? and Welcome to GtoG,

If the system can "see" the WiFi network, what happens when you highlight it and click on connect? Does it ask for a code? Remember, the cable network connection will always report that it is unplugged, (and that is normally named the LAC). The WiFi network connection should look like a computer with wavy lines next to it.

Could you also provide what the system is and operating system that its using? Sometimes when people travel, others will change settings so that they can connect where they are. That will often leave folks helpless when they arrive back home and the connection will not work. Is there a cable that they can connect directly to the WiFi router?

1st verify that the WiFi TCP/IP is set to automatically get its addressing, (right click on the WiFi network connection, then left click on properties. Look for the TCP/IP in the box and again, click on properties). If it is set for automatic addressing in both IP and DNS then something else is amiss.

Good luck,