Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed Recovery of Vista

• Please log in to reply

Cathy Smith

Cathy Smith

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried to reset my Vista lap top to factory settings, but it froze, and I had no option but to power down. Now when I power up, the error states the \windows\system32\winload.exe file is missing. Anyone know how I can install this?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Have you tried re-installing again?

Do you have a Restore/Recovery cd?

Make and model of your system?

Murray

Cathy Smith

Cathy Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Murray, Thank you for your initial response. I do not have a recovery disc. I was one of those that did not create one when I brought the machine home. I did go on the neo site and saved the Vista recovery, but when I restarted my computer with the disc in place, I received the same message that my windows32 files were missing or corrupt. Nothing new happened.

My system: HP dv9000 Vista Home
Processor: AMD Turion 64x2
Mobile Tech: TL-52
Speed: 1600 MHZ
Ram: 64 MB
Total Memory is showing: 1024 MB

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go to the HP website and search your system. There could be a download available. Worst case scenaio, contact them and see if they can send you a Recovery cd. There may be a slight charge but it would be worth it in the long run.

Murray

Cathy Smith

Cathy Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, Murray! I felt that was my final option as well.