Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook RAM

• Please log in to reply

Nodnerbial

Nodnerbial

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hoping someone can help me. I am not very clued up when it comes to computers but realised that my notebook needed new RAM - running on 256 (minus 64 for the video) so only 192MB. I went to a PC shop and they have installed another 512MB chip. THe problem is that the 256 chip in already is a 333 (don't know what that is?) but the new chip is 400. I queried this and he said - 333 is not available and 400 will be fine as it will just run at 333 anyway...

Is this true? Will it be okay? :tazz:

Advertisements

Nodnerbial

Nodnerbial

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
...not sure if it matters, but...

it is DDR SO-DIMM Ram...

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
hit start then settings then contol panel then system if it sais you have around 700mb ram then it worked fine if it sais you only have 192 then it isn't working and you need the 333 you can get at best buy

Nodnerbial

Nodnerbial

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz:
Thank you - I did so, it does say 700MB. So it must be working! Yay... And the 333/400 difference won't harm the computer?

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
it's not like i am a ram expert i know where to put and how to put in and stuff but not much about details i asked my brother who knows everything about computers and he told me that it might run not as good with the difference but since you have 700 you won't even notice that is lot of ram. as for harming the computer your fine it won't do any damage.

Nodnerbial

Nodnerbial

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz:
Excellent - Thanks so much for all your advice and help. Thats' good news!