Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP pavillion dv4

• Please log in to reply

tpal70

tpal70

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have had my laptop for about a year or longer and the warranty is out. The screen has been pressure cracked but it was still working I was hooking it up to another monitor till a buddy of mine can fix it. Now I have the problem of it wont even turn on it sounds like its starting up but nothing happens and a dot above the scroll and and next to the caps lock flash now. I have tried to hold them down and push them but i don't know what to do please help.

I have an HP Pavillion DV4 series computer with Windows Vista.

Advertisements

Eric001

Eric001

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Try this link for an explanation of error code for HP notebooks
http://h10025.www1.h...product=3816592
Hope this helps

tpal70

tpal70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Good find....however, which one of these is it?

Blink: 1 - Caps Lock/Num Lock CPU CPU not functional
Blink: 2 - Caps Lock/Num Lock BIOS BIOS corruption failure
Blink: 3 - Caps Lock/Num Lock Memory Module error not functional
Blink: 4 - Caps Lock/Num Lock Graphics Graphics controller not functional
Blink: 5 - Caps Lock/Num Lock System board General system board failure
Blink: 6 - Caps Lock/Num Lock BIOS BIOS authentication failure

My Caps Lock/Num Lock Blink's twice, then switches to once blinking, so do it read it that it is the BIOS corrupiton or the CPU not functional or both? Then, how do I fix it?

Eric001

Eric001

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi tpal70,
First I should let you know that I am not an expert. I have a dv7 that is almost a year old and had a similar problem last week and that's how I found the page about blink codes. After looking around the HP Consumer Forum http://h30434.www3.hp.com/ I found in most instances the forum users suggested a "Hard Reset" first. To do this (1) Unplug the power adapter (2) Remove the battery (3) Hold the power button down for at least 25 seconds (4) Reinstall the battery (5) Hookup the power supply (6) Restart the computer. I did this and it worked for my issue. I would try that first and if it doesn't work I would post your problem on the HP consumer forum at the link above. Don't take me wrong, I think G2G is still the most awesome forum I have found to date, however sometimes we do have to look elsewhere for advise and the manufactures website is always a good place to start. Good luck and let me know how this works out.

tpal70

tpal70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I will try this at home when I get there this evening....thanks for your help....I will update later.

tpal70

tpal70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
didn't work, I will read up on the HP forum though later today.

tpal70

tpal70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
After reading an old post on HP's website, I am trying a request someone had by leaving the battery and Power Cord unplugged for 1 hour and then trying again. Will update and see if it works since it worked for two people on that site.

Eric001

Eric001

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Cool. Hope they can help. I know how frustrating it can be. Good Luck :)

tpal70

tpal70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
no help yet, the more I look at it, this is a major problem with all HP computers after reading a lot about it. Some people are even contacting the Better Business Bureau to complain about HP...wow...but I may do the same thing if my computer is not fixed either.

Any more help anyone?

tpal70

tpal70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
HP helper said I need to replace the CPU on the computer. Does anyone know a cost or where to purchase a new CPU? Any instructions on how to do this easily?