Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Hi,

Recently I started getting an annoying window appear EVERY time I start up one of my PC's.
My Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Gaming Desktop PC to be precise.
After logging in, and as my desktop runs through its normal routine, an annoying window appears:

OUTLOOK EXPRESS
"To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take up to a few minutes".
"OK" or "Cancel" are the only options.
I either select cancel or just shut the window with the cross in the top right corner.

MS_Outlook_Express.JPG

What aggravates me most of all, I don't even USE Outlook Express (and NEVER have done on this PC)! :)
The hard drive is only using about 114GB out of 750GB, so I don't need, or want to create space. :)

HOW can I stop this message, and why has it appeared anyway? :)

Thanks
Wrinkly Pete

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts
A Google search has brought up various answers about the error.
It all makes sense when OE is actually used. (I use OE and have seen the error)

What I do not have an answer for is why you are getting it when you claim you do not use it.
Are you sure no one set it up on your computer?

With Service Pack 2, Outlook Express is set to ask about Compacting messages after every 100th closing of Outlook Express. Before Service Pack 2, the default behavior had Outlook Express set to compact messages in the background which has lead to the corruption of the message store.
Compact the messages manually, reset the Registry value which keeps track how many times Outlook Express has been closed.

Take a look at the following link. It should help.
Make sure you back up the registry 1st!

http://www.insideoe....why.htm#compact

There does not seem to be a way to uninstall OE because it is embedded in IE. There is no Add/Remove for it.
In windows add/remove (through add/remove programs) it only adds or removes from the start menu.

123runner

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

A Google search has brought up various answers about the error.
It all makes sense when OE is actually used. (I use OE and have seen the error)

What I do not have an answer for is why you are getting it when you claim you do not use it.
Are you sure no one set it up on your computer?

With Service Pack 2, Outlook Express is set to ask about Compacting messages after every 100th closing of Outlook Express. Before Service Pack 2, the default behavior had Outlook Express set to compact messages in the background which has lead to the corruption of the message store.
Compact the messages manually, reset the Registry value which keeps track how many times Outlook Express has been closed.

Take a look at the following link. It should help.
Make sure you back up the registry 1st!

http://www.insideoe....why.htm#compact

There does not seem to be a way to uninstall OE because it is embedded in IE. There is no Add/Remove for it.
In windows add/remove (through add/remove programs) it only adds or removes from the start menu.

123runner

Hi 123runner
That's spooky, I was just about to post "problem solved?" and your reply arrived!

I think I've cured it, but am not certain just yet.
I was looking through all the possibilites on the OE toolbar and selected "compact messages" or something similar.
The next time I switched the PC on I DIDN'T get the window appearing on startup, so it may be cured? :)

No, I honestly don't use OE, I had trouble with it once before so used Microsoft Office Outlook instead.

I'll report back again if it returns......!
Thanks for your assistance though. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts
According to all the info, it will return after 100 starts.

I do not know if that is 100 computer starts or OE starts. The info points to OE starts, but since you do not use it, we can't be sure.

Mine has not returned and it has been months, but my computer is generally on 24/7 with OE open.
I do not "count" the times I restart OE or the computer. It would be senseless.

Just telling it "compact" was going to be my answer, but I suspected you were going to look for more of a "why".

Glad you got it resolved.