Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

IBM Thinkpad 560Z

• Please log in to reply

Jack in NH

Jack in NH

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all-

I found this place trying to fix the viral infection I had in my desktop; note "had". Followed the malware removal process & all's good again- thank you for that service.

New topic: While at the dump (excuse me, "recycling center") Saturday, I found an IBM Thinkpad 560z in its satchel, complete w/external 3.5" disk drive, CD drive, mouse, and all the power adapters to make everything run- it was on the "free if you want it" table.

When I attempted to start it, it makes clicking & other bogus noises, & the screen indicated "error 00161, 00301, & 00163".

I haven't a clue what that means, so here I am.

The unit seems to be in pretty good shape (physically), but I don't know if it's worth attempting to fix. The price was right :), so...???

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Error codes for your model: http://www-307.ibm.c...cid=LWIK-3XPJJY

161 (Dead battery) 1. Go to "Checking the Backup Battery" on page 16 of the HMM 2. Backup battery 3. System board

163 (Time and date were not set) 1. Set time and date 2. System board

301, 303, 304, 305, 3XX 301 Keyboard error 1. Go to "Keyboard or Auxiliary Input Device Checkout" on page 11 of the HMM 2. Keyboard 3. External numeric keypad 4. External keyboard 5. Keyboard/mouse cable 6. System board

It looks like busted motherboard to me.

Edited by Broni, 04 July 2010 - 10:46 PM.