Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

should i take it back to the shop?

• Please log in to reply

simon---

simon---

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello,
i wondered if any one could help me. I have bought a Samsung n150 netbook this week with a 1 gig intel atom processor and a 160 gig hard drive. However i am extremely disappointed with its performance. It is very slow to react to any input, whether by keyboard or touch pad, and often results in me clicking several times on the same item because it doesn’t seem to have registered, only for that thing to open several times as the system catches up. Even the “F” buttons are slow and it’s extremely frustrating that even the sound volume buttons do not have an immediate effect.

When the windows do open it takes a very long time (perhaps six or seven seconds) for the contents of the window to appear. I have tried adjusting the performance settings on the battery controls, and have experimented with it both plugged into mains power and on battery power and it seems to make very little difference. I don’t think there are loads of programmes running in the background and have had this problem since I very first got the computer out of the box so it is not a virus related thing.

There are also weird problems, like the fact i cant get a photo to appear as my desktop background. The ‘help’ function tells you how to do it, but some of the menu options wouldn’t appear until i reopened the photo in another viewer program and right clicked. But then when i click on ‘set as desktop background’ nothing happens, except the computer seems to stutter a bit and freeze momentarily.

When i’m wireless on my home broadband it runs almost as slowly as on dial up when i Bluetooth to my mobile phone. My dell laptop runs fine on my home broadband though................
It has also turned itself off a couple of times when the battery didn’t appear to be low.
The battery itself doesn’t seem to be nearly as good as the specification said it should be. It is supposed to last 8 hours, but even when fully charged it’s own displayed estimation of duration never goes above 5 hours. Also when it says it has a certain amount of time left, it then runs down much quicker than it should- i.e. if it says 3 hours 30 mins, ten minutes later, even if left unused, it might say 2 hrs 50 mins and so on until it dies about an hour later. The computer has never since i have owned it been exposed to extremes of temperature......

Is this partly because it’s running windows 7? If so is there any way to go back to a less complicated windows OS? I really don’t care for any of the advanced features of 7 and just want a computer that is reliable and works ok. Should i take it back to the shop (PC world) and swap it for one that runs on XP? Will they take it back anyway now i have used it for a week?

so sorry this is so long, but once i started i needed to get it all off my chest!!!!

thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.....

simon

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Just my impression but a 1 gig processor for Windows 7 is probably streching it to its limits, also you should check how much virtual memory you have installed and what kind of video card you have. All those things will affect the speed of your netbook.

As for the battery when they advertize 8 hours that is if nothing is open and your netbook is probably almost idle. The more things used like programs (some do need more processor usage so more power) will influence how long your battery will last.