Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

64 bit / R A M

• Please log in to reply

Mike4C

Mike4C

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi , If a 32 bit machine will only use 3 GB of memory . How much will a 64 bit use? I use CS5 Adobe Photoshop and I want it to be as fast as possible. Thanks Mike

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
64 bit OS's can utilize much more memory as in 128 gigs or better.
The problem is that the average motherboard will only support 16 to 32 gigs unless you want to spend a large amount of money for a server based board which will allow more.
I run a multi boot system with XP Pro 64 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit and Mandriva Linux Pro 64 bit and have 8 gigs of memory.
That would be enough to run what you want to do.
Anything more IMO would be a waste of money and resources as your system would not utilize the full memory capacity at anytime.

Mike4C

Mike4C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

64 bit OS's can utilize much more memory as in 128 gigs or better.
The problem is that the average motherboard will only support 16 to 32 gigs unless you want to spend a large amount of money for a server based board which will allow more.
I run a multi boot system with XP Pro 64 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit and Mandriva Linux Pro 64 bit and have 8 gigs of memory.
That would be enough to run what you want to do.
Anything more IMO would be a waste of money and resources as your system would not utilize the full memory capacity at anytime.

thanks the most demanding software I have would be photoshop. I was thinking the i7 960 w/ Intel x58 mb, you can put 24 gigs . so 8 should be more than enough.Great I will save some money.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I don't suggest anything more then that.
You may give some thought to a dual boot with one partition setup for nothing more then your Photoshop which would keep that data safe and away from the main OS with all your other data and files. If something was to happen with the main drive then you would still have the data for photoshop secured.
Regular backups of that data would ensure if something were to happen you would have a recent backup. If that data is high priority it would be advisable to perform a nightly backup on that drive to ensure that you have the most recent backup available to you.

Mike4C

Mike4C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks again,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and if there are any other questions you may have please feel free to ask. We will try to assist as best as we can.
Please let us know how everything works out for you.