Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage to high

• Please log in to reply

tim schwarz

tim schwarz

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

For about the last week or two my computer has been running very slow. Today I checked the Task manager and the cpu usage won't drop below approx. 50% and spikes higher sometimes than that. This is all happening with out any processes running showing any use. Other than occasionally the SVChost.exe, system idle, system & my firefox when its open. Please anything you can suggest would help. I just did notice there is 6 svchost.exe processes. Is that normal?

Tim Schwarz

Advertisements

Mr Gray

Mr Gray

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
There's a program called process explorer my Microsoft. This program gives you a clearer picture of what programs are running. I would suggest downloading it and looking at what is taking up so much CPU processing power.

http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx

Once you have downloaded it, go ahead and click on "CPU" and let us know what programs take up most of the CPU's processing power.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Also, I have

tim schwarz

tim schwarz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok so the thing that is running the most is something called, hardware interupts which is just about a steady 40-50. Then there is services and control apps which runs at about 1.52-3 off and on. svchost about the same. Once again there is 5 svchosts though and they all say generic hosts for win32 services. then deffered procedure calls which pops up at 1.5-3 every once & awhile.

Mr Gray

Mr Gray

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm wondering if one of your drivers need an update. Click on "Control Panel-->Systems-->Hardware-->Device Manager. Check and see if you have a yellow exclamation point under any of the devices. If so, try updating that particular driver and see if that solves the problem.

Also, how much Ram and hard drive space do you have left on the pc? Lastly, it's normal to have 6 svchost.exe running. If you want to learn more about them, click on the following link:

http://www.howtogeek...y-is-it-running

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Once again there is 5 svchosts though and they all say generic hosts for win32 services

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

tim schwarz

tim schwarz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No there are no yellow exclamations. I have 217GB of Hard drive space left. I don't know how to check how much Ram space I have left.

Mr Gray

Mr Gray

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
It's possible you might have a virus on your computer. I would do as Brori suggest and follow his instructions. If your computer is clean, post another topic and we'll attack it at a different angle.