Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited wireless internet on one machine

• Please log in to reply

Eyebolt

Eyebolt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been working to solve a connectivity problem on an HP Pavilion a1630n desktop. The players:
Linksys WMP110 network adapter
Netgear WGR614 wireless router
Embarq DSL modem

My son started complaining a couple of weeks ago that the internet connection was broken. Wireless connection is sporadic and extremely slow when it will connect at all. Other machines in household connect fine. Direct cable connection of this machine to the router works great also. When enabling wireless, the adapter connects to router, shows excellent signal strength, 54 Mbps, but websites load incredibly slowly or stall completely. All this hardware has functioned fine in the past.

Here's what I've done so far:
Went through the malware & spyware cleaning guide, cleaned up machine with Malwarebytes
Disconnected all other machines from the network
Released and renewed the IP addresses
Rebooted everything
Checked that driver for wireless adapter is latest version

Nothing has changed the connection problem - I'm about out of ideas.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Eyebolt? and Welcome to GtoG..

I often had cases where the automatic addressing fails to provide an solid connection to the internet, (usually as the router gets older). Sometimes its the cable conn that loses it, sometimes the WiFi. I have seen this with several different brands of routers. Try to manually address the TCP/IP in the problem WiFi system, (including the DNS). If you do not know what the addresses are, open the command prompt and type ipconfig. If you do not know the DNS addresses, just use the default gateway address. This approach also extends the range of a WiFi system since it doesn't have to negotiate addressing from the router. I just used this approach on a client whose internet had become unreliable on a cable connection and now he's back with no worries.

Hope this helps...

Eyebolt

Eyebolt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Mark D,

Thanks for lending a hand with this. I tried to follow your instructions, but either the problem is still there or I misinterpreted. I went into the router control application and unselected the option to automatically obtain IP addresses, then manually entered static addresses to match those listed from ipconfig - I entered the gateway address for the DNS as well.

The result was no internet connection at all. I had to return to the automatic option to get service through the cable connection. You mentioned router age, and I know mine has been around a while. Do you think this might be solved with new hardware?

-Eyebolt

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Instead of using the gateway address, use your actual DNS addresses, (you might find them by querying your router or asking your ISP provider). Sometimes the DNS doesn't pass on through the gateway. Restarting with manual addresses will just have the same results.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You might try Google's Public DNS servers:

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4

http://code.google.c...docs/using.html

Eyebolt

Eyebolt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for suggestions; here's where I stand now:

Looked at DNS addresses using ipconfig /all - The address listed was indeed simply the gateway address. Got no internet at all using that.

Tried the Google public DNS 8-8-8-8 8-8-4-4. It looked like homepage might load, but timed out before it could.

Returned to dynamic ISP option

Remembered I had stripped an old Belkin Wireless G card off a discarded desktop, so I yanked the Linksys card out of this box and replaced it with the Belkin. Well, it kinda worked then, but a lot of fits and starts, with long periods of super slow communication with the internet like when the system first started going bad.

Router still works great through cable and my laptop has a good wireless connection through it too.

Think I'm going to swap the adapter cards back; not sure what next. Maybe open a beer.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Since your notebook is staying steady on WiFi, that would seem to indicate that the problem is on the desk station that has the problem. Perhaps create a new user profile and see if that has the same difficulty? (Possible corrupted profile).

Have you tried to open a command prompt and ping not only some of the other workstations, but websites as well? I normally try to establish connections to all my systems connected to the router to make it easier to share files and printers and occasionally I do hit problems where one system cannot either send or receive a ping signal.

I usually have a few shots of tequila instead of a beer. You still don't find the answer but do find the floor quicker... :)