Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Home repair

• Please log in to reply

Jazzbassist220

Jazzbassist220

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently my system crashed (e-machines T6410, AMD Athlon 64, WinXP Home) and couldn't boot. I performed a clean install of XP in a different partition as I didn't have access to the old OS. PC works fine now but I still would like to repair the old one as my files and documents are all there. Both XP's appear at booting time as options and I can only boot from the new one as when I try to boot from the old a message saying that cannot boot because <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt appears. I found the solution on how to repair or reinstal this file. My question is, when I get to Recovery Console with the XP disk how do I know which XP am I repairing? how do I know I have the right one that needs to be repaired? I'm afraid to proceed and mess with the new one which is working fine. Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
Hi,when in Recovery Console you will be asked what windows you want to fix ,
like, 1: c:\windows or 2:D:\windows or what ever the drive letters are

Edited by Bing7, 06 July 2010 - 02:54 AM.