Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS Problem

• Please log in to reply

gareth769

gareth769

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I run a wireless network with over 40 users and have spent an infuriating past couple of days trying to diagnose one of my users' connection problems.

The user told me that after inserting a friends USB drive into his laptop (XP SP2), that he was unable to access the Internet. The problems affects both IE7 and Chrome.
Other problems included a broken BitDefender 2010 (The firewall would not switch on) and a broken system restore (I finally got it to restore, but only after running it in safe mode. Internet worked for a while after the restore but was sporadic and is now broken again).

I followed the steps on the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide and have tried installing and scanning alternatively with BitDefender, AVG Free, Avira, AVG Antispyware, MBAM, SUPERAntiSpyware and IOBIT Security 360 PRO. Picked up a few tracking cookies but nothing else.

I eventually discovered that I could access web sites if I used their IP addresses and have since tried several fixes. ipconfig /all shows nothing different to the settings on my computer and the dns servers are the same. Have also tried some winsock fixes but nothing seems to work and I'm at a dead-end.

Can anyone suggest a way forward?

Advertisements

gareth769

gareth769

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh, I forgot to add...

I flushed the DNS cache and the browser cache. no joy there...

gareth769

gareth769

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I gave up and repair installed. problem solved.