Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Router Setup

• Please log in to reply

Windows7Lover

Windows7Lover

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I've already gotten my home network set up. We've got a Netgear WNR1000 router for a satellite internet hookup that allows all the computers (and believe me, they are many!) to connect to the internet and when needed, to each other. The only problem is, the router is in the upstairs and one of the computers is barely pulling in any signal. So I was thinking, we have an old Belkin G+ Mimo router (F5D9231-4 v.1) whose wireless just up and died on us, could I use that old router to connect 1 PC wired as well as the Internet WAN and then run a 100 foot ethernet to the new router and use that one for the wireless?

On the old one that we had to replace the wireless died, but the ethernet works fine and dandy. And if it is possible, how would I go about using the DCHP server? Would that have to be on the router connected to the WAN or can it be from the one that we'd actually connect via WiFi? Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
'Fraid not. You can use only one router per network setup.

However, you can add an extender to the network. Like one of these:
http://www.broadband...?CategoryID=259