Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent Various Hardware Errors, Windows 7 upgrade

• Please log in to reply

silverhammer314

silverhammer314

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm using a custom PC that's about 4 years old. I've never had any problems until a few months ago I was infected with one of the Antivirus 2009/2010 bugs. I do think I eventually got rid of them and my PC was back to normal, but I can't be sure it's not the cause of my most recent problems.

Initially, I had some BSODs that referenced a nv4_disp error. I tried to find a solution that worked for that, including updating the drivers for my nVidia 7950 GX2 card, to no avail. I do see they recently released new drivers, but my current predicament is such that I can't install them.

I've spent weeks trying to fix this on my own, and the problems have now manifested as 1) Hanging at the Windows XP "Loading Personal Settings" screen
2) Preventing me from booting into Safe Mode or Recovery Console
3) Page Fault in a non Paged area error

As of today, though, I could boot into Safe Mode and eventually decided my Windows XP installation was corrupted somehow, so I've installed Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade version, except it won't complete the installation.

I don't see where exactly it's stopped, I'm just rebooting over and over with the Page Fault error, and I can't boot into safe mode since the installation hasn't finished. Apologies for the long post, but I hated to leave anything out. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
While there are some who have had good success updating very old hardware to Windows 7, there is still a lot of hardware designed for XP that does not support Windows 7 and so all upgraders should always check for compatibility with the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor first. Sadly, if it won't boot now, that may not be possible with the advisor. You may need to visit your motherboard maker's website and check to see if there are Win7 drivers for your motherboard.

When upgrading from XP, it is necessary to do a fresh install and you can do this, even though you have an upgrade disk. So, if you hardware is supported, I recommend a full format and fresh install.

Apologies for the long post, but I hated to leave anything out. Please help if you can.

Too much information is better than not enough. However, it is always good to know what we are working with - you told us about your graphics card, but some information about your computer too would be nice.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I was infected with one of the Antivirus 2009/2010 bugs. I do think I eventually got rid of them and my PC was back to normal, but I can't be sure it's not the cause of my most recent problems.

On this statement alone and because you may still be having some issues with an infection. I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

silverhammer314

silverhammer314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks guys for your quick and helpful responses.

Here's a little more information about my computer

- Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU
- 2GB Corsair (which I have switched out to test for memory errors)
- Asus P5n32-sli se Motherboard

I was actually trying to do a fresh install, which is why I figured if I had any malware, it wouldn't be an issue. I'd have no problem running a program that first erased the entirety of the drive (I'm not trying to save any data or anything), if that's more comprehensive than a Windows Upgrade format, but I didn't think I'd then be able to use the "upgrade" part.

Also, apparently Asus does NOT support Windows 7 for this mobo. I really am surprised by that. Does this mean I have no chance of running it, or simply that I won't have any help from them if I do?

I'll be heading over to the Malware Removal Forum now. Thanks again.

silverhammer314

silverhammer314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Gentlemen,

I've started the requested thread in the Malware Forum here:

http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=281430

But it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of traction. Since I think it's at least as likely as not that I did get rid of the malware previously, is there anything else that can be done? At worst, if I could at least get Windows running, perhaps I could investigate more about possible infection then?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Be patient as that forum is extremely busy. We have some of the best Malware techs around and they are kept very busy. You may see a lot of views but that is normal as some Malware Techs are more familiar with some types of infections and it may take a while for them to find you.