Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb mass storage device crash

• Please log in to reply

safc1973

safc1973

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, first post, hope it's in the right place, ok, i've had a problem with usb external hardware crashing my desktop pc, it's actually been doing it a while now, but i bought a new laptop so i kind of put it out of my mind, but it does bother me, so, if anyone can help me, that would be great, i finally worked out that anything that i plug in via usb which has any kind of memory storage will crash my pc, eg, printer with memory card slot, external drive, pen drives, camera with card slot, you get the picture, however, i have a usb midi keyboard plugged in which has no memory slot and there is no problems with that, also, i recently got a usb gamepad and tried it on my pc with no problems, i've had my pc guy take a look at it , but he couldn't solve it, and he's no mug, he knows what he's doing, i've also asked a couple of guys i know, again, to no avail, so, anyone have any ideas, suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Couple things to check

USB mass storagew require more power then a simple keyboard, is you PSU output stretch to its limit causing the crash when more power needed.

Also did you try to update your USB controller (I had a VIA USB PCI card that in my new computer would not boot with my original cd drivers until I updated the driver and now no problem).

Did you check on all your USB BIOS option to see if any settings might be the cause.

Also you did not mention when your computer crashes is it when you want to access them or as soon as you plug them in or when windows loads (if already plugged) or even before it loads (BIOS POST).

safc1973

safc1973

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, thanks, i did try changing usb settings in the bios, i have 3 options, usb controller (enabled), usb 2.0 support (enabled), and legacy usb support (disabled), i didn't have any success when i altered any of these settings before. As for the psu, i don't know, i'll have to look into that maybe, and i actually did a couple of clean installs and re-installed drivers, so i think the drivers should be ok, and the system crashing is the oddest thing for me, it's like the system accepts the device, it'll work for a while, then kind of realises it's there and won't accept it, then it just totally freezes up, and i have to power it down with the button on the front, and then, when i try to reboot with the device connected, no chance, won't even boot into windows, freezes on the windows load up, or sooner.