Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor problem: "In Power Save Mode."

• Please log in to reply

dustin_dustin

dustin_dustin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I am having a problem hooking up a monitor (actually, two monitors) to my mom's HP Pavilion d4000. (OS is Vista.)

The computer has had an old Dell M872 CRT monitor hooked up to it for over a year but recently started having problems. In the middle of use, the screen would go black and my mom would have to restart the computer for the monitor to turn on. After around a month, the monitor still would not function at all; the most it would and will do is display the message: "In Power Save Mode: Press Any Key on Keyboard or Move Mouse."

I hooked up another monitor, a Dell LCD E173FPc, that worked for a short amount of time before it also displayed the M872's exact symptoms.

While neither of these monitors works with the HP at all, my newer Samsung SyncMaster 906BW works flawlessly with the machine. Furthermore, the Dell monitors work perfectly with another computer, a Dell, that I own; they just won't work with the HP.

I have read numerous threads and have tried updating the HP's graphics card driver (GeForce 6800), resetting the BIOS with the internal jumper, readjusting the power save options for maximum performance, and changing the resolution. I wanted to disable the power save option completely but it's missing from the relevant menu accessible during start-up.

I don't understand why my Samsung 906BW works with the HP while the Dell monitors will not, and I need it to work with the Dell LCD monitor. If this makes any difference, the Samsung 906BW has a white pin connector while the Dell LCD has a blue connector (as does the Dell CRT).

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Samsung 906BW has a white pin connector while the Dell LCD has a blue connector (as does the Dell CRT).

the white cable/connector is wider than the blue one correct?

if so, the white one is a DVI port. the blue one is a VGA port. there is a chance that the VGA port on the computer is going bad. or possibly the whole video card.

are the video connections built into the motherboard or are they on a separate card? if they're built in the connections should be up towards the top of the computer near the power supply (somewhere in the mix of connections up towards the top) if it's a separate card it will be lower towards the bottom of the computer in an area that has a bunch of rectangles that look like they could be removed

dustin_dustin

dustin_dustin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

are the video connections built into the motherboard or are they on a separate card?

The only video connections are on the GeForce 6800.

Edited by dustin_dustin, 06 July 2010 - 12:49 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like either your VGA port on the GeForce is going bad, or the whole card is going bad (most likely if just the VGA is going bad, the rest of it will follow pretty soon)

dustin_dustin

dustin_dustin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks much for your assistance.