Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lack of power to pc

• Please log in to reply

lynnj

lynnj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After using my Toshiba M30X 129 (old I know) a few days ago, it went into hibernate mode on battery power, then the battery ran out. Now when I connect the power cable, nothing happens. No LEDs, no response whatsoever. The power cable is live, and I've tried removing the battery but nothing happens. All was fine before complete discharge of battery. Does anyone have any ideas ? (Given age of PC, I don't really want to fork out to try a new battery, only to find it's some other problem.) Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi lynnj :) sorry to hear you are having this issue

The power cable is live, and I've tried removing the battery but nothing happens

Does this mean you tried running the computer from the mains power whilst the battery was removed.

Try removing the battery and mains power cord and pressing the power on switch for 30 seconds, this
should dispel any overcharge that may have built up in your laptop, reconnect power & see if that
has made a difference.
If that doesn`t work remove the memory **stick/s and try placing it in the other slot, reconnect power
& see how it goes.

**This depends on how much memory you have in your laptop, spec says from 512mb to 2gb

lynnj

lynnj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, sorry. I tried connecting the power cable, without the battery in place, and that didn't work.

Have tried as you suggested, disconnecting completely and holding down the power button for 30s, but no difference.

Not sure how I go about removing the memory sticks. Laptop has 512mb, and I've added no extra.

Edited by lynnj, 06 July 2010 - 02:31 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Here is a step by step guide for a Toshiba Satellite, hopefully it is very similar to your own;
http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_2.htm