Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Widescreen monitor/graphics card problem

• Please log in to reply

bobskeleton

bobskeleton

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I got a new monitor today, and Acer X223HQ widescreen. It's great and all, but the resolution on my graphics card (VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP) won't go above 1280x1024. My monitor needs to be 1920x1080. Reading across the screen is like watching a tennis match.

I have tried to update the graphics card driver via Display settings but it failed. I have had problems upgrading it in the past, and its current date is 28/04/2007, version 6.14.10.364.

Can it be updated? Is it not compatible? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Can it be updated? Is it not compatible? Does anyone have any suggestions?

It does not appear a newer driver is available. It is compatible in the sense it will drive the monitor, just not at the ideal resolutions. Your only option really is to install a graphics card. Note you currently do NOT have a card. You are using the motherboard's integrated graphics. IGP = integrated graphics processor.

There are 1000s of options available but before anyone can offer any suggestions, we (and you) need to know what graphics interface your motherboard will support. The typical interfaces are PCI, AGP, and PCI Express (PCIe). In spite their similar names, PCI and PCIe are totally different and not compatible.
PCI is the oldest and most motherboards still have PCI slot. Next was AGP, but they have superseded by PCIe.

Also note that even an entry level PCI card will likely support the new monitor's native resolution, and the card will surely have a better graphics processor. But also, the card will come populated with its own RAM tweaked for graphics processing. This is important because it then means the system RAM, previously snagged by the IGP for graphics processing can be released back to the system, resulting in a little increase in system RAM. So the end result is a boost in over all system performance.

The only downside is the card requires power and if there have been other hardware upgrades or additions since the computer was new, you may need a bigger power supply too.

bobskeleton

bobskeleton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ah okay. I learned something :)

My PC hasn't had any upgrades since I bought it. Is it easy to install a graphics card? Can you recommend a model?

I've just forked out for a monitor and can't afford anything flashy!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Can you recommend a model?

There are 1000s of options available but before anyone can offer any suggestions, we (and you) need to know what graphics interface your motherboard will support