Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mysterious loss of storage space [Maybe Fixed?]

• Please log in to reply

duffking

duffking

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, but basically I've been wondering what's been happening to my free storage space for a little while now; I was sure it was shrinking.

I did a defrag and amazingly reclaimed 10GB of space despite having only owned this laptop for a few months (windows 7 64 bit home professional).

In the days since the defrag I haven't downloaded anything substatial other than a windows.net framework update. But my storage space has apparently dropped by 3 gigabytes.

So the last day or so I've kept a close eye on my disk usage via treesize free. For all of yesterday evening, my disk usage was at 139.8GB. When I got home from work today and used my laptop, this remained the same. Yet the byte count on the C: drive properties told me that my free space had shrunk by 300MB.

And it had; before I went to bed I copied a 500MB file to my computer from an external drive, and the disk space remained at 145GB. When I copied that same file across again, this time it was 144GB until I deleted it.

Copying that file again, I noticed that the space remaining in bytes decreased by around 20MB more than the used space increased. After deleting the file, I actually had around .8MB more space left on both.

So what my main question is, is how on earth could I have possibly lost 300MB of storage space when treesize free maintains that I am still using 139.8GB of space? For this loss of space to be realistic, it would have to read 141.1 GB, and none of my folders alone or added up (windows, users, program files, files like hiberfil.sys etc) gained even .1 according to treesize.

So what happened to my 300MB?

I have kept track of some folders and the only one that seems to be growing is google chrome's cache in appdata, which makes sense. Windows fluctuates in size a fair bit. I did get a windows update yesterday kb915597, and I don't know what kind of update size that is, but it occured at 17:31, before the mysterious file space loss.

I'm heading to the gym now but I have a little more summary info that might help. If I keep losing disk space at this rate, then that can't be good. Will add more info soon.

Edited by duffking, 10 July 2010 - 08:06 AM.

Advertisements

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
hi, try ATF Cleaner to empty all temp file ,and all cache file ,use it regularly ,also reboot computer more often ,maybe .

http://www.atribune....c...5&Itemid=25

duffking

duffking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think I've solved this. I ran an administrator command prompt, changed to C:\Windows\System32 and typed

vssadmin list shadowstorage

To see what was in my system volume information. It's been growing fairly steadily and as a test I used the option in windows to clean up all but the most recent restore point. I took down what Treesize free said my total disk usage was before I did so, and disk usage was the same before and after, so clearly it was the system volume information folder/my restore points.

Edited by duffking, 10 July 2010 - 08:05 AM.