Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron8100

• Please log in to reply

thedrummingkid

thedrummingkid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone. My Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop doesn't start up at all. Whenever I press the power on button it shows the blue dell startup screen where it says "Press F2 for setup" at the bottom. Neither F2 or F1, which says startup in blue at the top of the key, work. After that screen goes away after about two or three seconds it goes to a black screen with the blinking underscore. It does that forever. Never turns off or does anything after that. Typically after I turn it on and off about 50 times it boots up just fine. Then after it turns off (I try to keep it on while it's working as long as I can, but sometimes I just can't) it has the same problem. Any help? Thanks!

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit thedrummingkid? and Welcome to GtoG

Try starting it without the battery in place. Sometimes as the battery gets older it will actually stop a notebook from being able to start up. I've found this sometime works with Compaq's and Asus's.

Good luck...