Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in safe mode/can't repair or override - help

• Please log in to reply

talula2899

talula2899

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone,

I am having a big problem. My Norton found the trojan.vundo.b virus on my computer and no matter what I tried I could not get rid of it - I tried runing the Symantec removal tool in safe mode but safe mode would not come up correctly. Then I read online about putting it in safe mode through the boot.ini options - well now my computer is stuck in safe mode but safe mode has no desktop- it's just a blank screen that says safe mode in the corners. I called Dell but everything we did such as starting in safe mode with command prompt or running the Windows repair would not work - in fact, the repair said "cannot run in safe mode!" We even tried to to recovery console but it's asking for an administrator password and I have no idea what it is.

My question is -

Is there any way to override either the safe mode boot up or the administrator password? If not, I am afraid my only option is to have someone get anything important off of my hard disk and reinstall windows. I am hoping for any other alternatives!

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you did not set a password then press the enter key when asked for it.

talula2899

talula2899

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't recall setting a password and Dell says that they never do - however I am not one to forget passwords - unfortunately, I tried just hitting enter and it said "incorrect password."

haramer

haramer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hmm, for me, I tried that, I got every password of ever administrator username's passwords (it was my brothers for some reason) and it worked. However, going there won't help much, as I was stuck there for 2 hours to realize that I wasn't going anywhere. Anyways just save all your files/data to another external harddrive or another computer. I'm thinking of taking it out to put it inside another computer because I can't even go to the login screen anymore. Good luck man! Also, once you get your data out, what is there to lose (other than hours of updates) and just reinstall Windows.