Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extra case fan.

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

I have an Antec 6-- case which has, 120mm rear fan and a 200mm top fan. The side panel has a place for a 120mm fan, opposite the video card.
What would be the most effective cooling option, fan installed as an extractor, or as an intake?

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The more cool air you get into the case the more effective the system runs. The spot you mention for the video card is just that. You put a fan there to bring in cool air over the video card thus cooling the card down even more and the case benefits even more.
I have two fans on top, side fan over video, one fan in the front and two in the back. I have spots to put two more fans at the bottom of the case if I want.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Agreed. Front and sides draw cool air in, back and top exhaust hot air out. Generally you want front to back flow. If you have "blow hole" fans, and since heat rises naturally, top fans help with that. I have not seen a case with bottom fans, but to help the natural flow of heat, they would draw cool air in too.

That said, you generally want "flow" through the case where, normally, the only turbulence desired is directly on top of the CPU. I have seen "system" (motherboard/chipset) temperatures rise with the use of a side panel fan because it either disrupted that "flow" through the case, or disrupted the cooling effect across the chipset from the CPU's HSF. Some cases use a tube to direct side panel air to the CPU so it does not disrupt case cooling.

My point is, monitor all your temps carefully before and after and if the side fan does not help, don't use it as it will be a waste of energy, it will suck in more heat trapping dust, and it increases noise levels.

Finally, you can have too much air being drawn in causing an over-pressure effect. If you don't have enough vents or exhaust fans, this pressure actually causes the air to stagnate - or not move. And that means not enough "flow" to move the hot air out.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks guys for the info.

I will take some readings before and after modifications and post the results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks we always like to know if everything works out good or bad.
It may also help someone in the future with the same question. We look forward to your results.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi everybody.
Long time coming but the results of testing are here > http://www.geekstogo...ts-cpu-cooling/

Thank you for your help.

Edited by iammykyl, 24 August 2010 - 08:32 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi everyone.

Taken some time to do the testing, results can be found here > http://www.geekstogo...ts-cpu-cooling/

Thank you for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something very strange about those readings. You have no +12 readings. That indicates a failing PSU.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi rshaffer61 .

Thanks well spotted, I missed that but did notice that the Vcore2 was showing over volts in Speedfan and a warning in Sandrs. I was going to start a new post?

What information do you want?-

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,659 posts
[attachment=44342:Report.txt][attachment=44343:Sensor readings.jpg][attachment=44343:Sensor readings.jpg]

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep +12 volt is not showing at all.
Everest report looks good.
Temps look good from what I'm seeing.
Sorry to do this but lets try one program to see if we can get a reading.
Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)

Run the setup executable file, and let it guide you for the installation process. The setup installs a service, that is started the first time that you run HWMonitor.
Make sure you get the Sensors showing and get us a screenshot of that.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,659 posts
[attachment=44346:CPUID readings.jpg]

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything points at the temps looking just about perfect in your system.
The problem really seems to be the PSU is not powering correctly. Do you have access to another PSU that you can try with your system?
I am going to ask Digerati to take a look at all these readings and see what he says. He is our resident PSU expert and can tell you for sure if my diagnosis is correct.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That is odd. Your HDs, fan, or the computer itself would not be running if you had no +12V so it must be the sensor. And I agree your temps look great. And +3.3 and +5V are well within tolerances too.

Just for verification, look on your Gigabyte utilities disk for a program called EasyTune - it might be ET6 (or you can get the latest version from the Gigabyte website). This has a HW monitor feature. What does it say for your +12V?